El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy All,

I picked up a '72 Camino a couple years ago, got it running a little, but she needed work, originally I wanted to use it as a beater to cruise around in. She came with a lot of extra parts, such as quarters, fenders, front wheel wells, new floors, and misc items, but also missing a ton of stuff. The interior was gone, and seats were strapped to cinder blocks (brilliance with no sarcasm intended).

I started cleaning her up and rust and bondo fell off by the pound. So I wanted to swap out just the passenger rear quarter which was the worst, but it didn't look so hot under it. So a new wheel well was in order, but to do that you need to put the rocker on and line it up. But before the rocker, you need the metal behind the rocker, and of course the floor pan goes on before that.....

So here we are. I have no real experience, I have a mill that I've been cutting parts for friends and neighbors, who have in turn been helping guide me along the way. I'm also limited on time and funds, but I'm getting the ball rolling, so ANY feedback or advice if greatly appreciated.

I'll have pics here shortly along with current status, I've slowly been taking her right side apart and sanding and cutting out any rust I can find and using a weld through primer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Started pulling the floor pan, the cross members are rusted through and garbage. New ones arriving today, as well as body bushings.

Not sure what you call the metal behind the rocker, but it was rusted through so I cut some scrap steel and welded some square tubing to the inside of if it going vertically, which I'll take some pics of shortly.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I laid in the new pans, and there’s about a 4 inch gap and the furthest spot, 1 inch at the closest. My friends telling me this is a G model. Can someone confirm that? Or how I would tell?

Edit: Also, the rocker that's supposed to fit was also a few inches too short, so I cut off part of another one and welded it in to lengthen it. Is this an A vs G model problem?

Attachments

·
Registered
404 Posts
I should also note that my garage felt large until I stuck a camino inside it. Obviously should have found a smaller car.
No. Shoulda bought a house with a bigger garage! My house has 3, was not about to short-change the ManCave again this time around... 😂

·
Registered
404 Posts
A body is '25 to '59 and skips to '64 to '81. After that, the A body became front wheel drive and rear wheel drive redesignated to G body. '59- '64 use X frame.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts