El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greeting all,
While working on the body of my car I have several stamped numbers. Would any be able to tell me what they are? Thanks 757D4E4A-E27A-4D6B-9EA1-13EA6971046E.jpeg 52C71A95-2FDE-486E-9D9B-CDD9642F961E.jpeg 3F3B8BDB-35DF-41B1-8D06-2A19DF6853E2.jpeg C85DC38F-9920-482F-88BF-265C90DD01BB.jpeg 7D64D015-796D-48D8-A70B-9BB58BA5B86E.jpeg

·
Registered
12,292 Posts
2nd and 3rd gens all have this, or a version of it in the Vin..
1 = Chevrolet
34 = El Camino V8
80 = 2dr Sedan Pick-up

on certain locations of the body and frame is the last 5-6 digits of the Vin too,,
around the heater box/firewall flanges/openings and frame rails..

or some could be of the part number too..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2nd and 3rd gens all have this, or a version of it in the Vin..
1 = Chevrolet
34 = El Camino V8
80 = 2dr Sedan Pick-up

on certain locations of the body and frame is the last 5-6 digits of the Vin too,,
around the heater box/firewall flanges/openings and frame rails..

or some could be of the part number too..
Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The car is supposed to be a SS, the original motor didn’t come with the car the person who bought this car passed away so there is not much other history on the car or the 454 he built. The car did have the door panels and the dash emblem with the SS/396 on it. I hope to find a build sheet in the seat, there is still a little piece of carpet in there but I’m sure it’s not there. Thanks again

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
on top of gas tank? headliner? hood insulation? stuffed up under dash?
The only place left is the headliner, that’s still on the car.
Any tricks to remove the headliner? It’s in great shape and I'd hate to ruin it.

·
Registered
465 Posts
No specific tricks that I can think of other than to be really careful...it IS very brittle!!!

After years of exposure to heat, the original headliner material has been dried out and will crack. Be sure to keep all the parts/pieces so you can rebuild/glue them back in place. I used upholstery adhesive and burlap material on the back side--facing metal--to repair any cracks and breaks.

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
it's usually glued to the roof isn't it 57Handyman? what about sliding in a long skinny metal yardstick and carefully cutting dry adhesive?

·
Registered
12,292 Posts
that 3rd-gen 68-69 headliner is quite a bit different from a 78-87 5th-gen g-body..
maybe if you could pull the side trim and very carefully peal the edges down above the doors,,
and use a Bore-Scope to look around between the bow's..
cant remember exactly how it goes together anymore..

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
and use a Bore-Scope to look around between the bow's..
I had completely forgotten that I bought one of those for my smart phone! you can get them in different lengths

here's an example

look at the compared similar items

1 - 14 of 14 Posts