El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
What other car parts fit a 1986 El Camino?
1986 would be a G body vehicle. Lots of parts will interchange with other Gbodies. Other Gbody vehicles include 1978- 1987 ('78-81 technically still Abody) Malibu, Monte Carlo, Grand Prix, Bonneville, Cutlass, Regal, and Gran National, and of course, 5th gen El Camino and Caballero.
When I was searching parts from catalogs and online retailers, I kept seeing parts listed for Fbody or A/Gbody. Curiosity got me to googling what an Fbody was and what a Gbody was, which led me to a link to my first car forum @gbodyforum.com, which in turn led me to look for an El Camino specific forum landing me here at elcaminocentral.com.
Back to your question, the vast majority of frame, suspension, running gear will bolt-in interchange between other Gbody vehicles. Some things are application specific such as whether v6 or v8 equipped and so on, but you could pull the seats or dash out of an '87 G, and bolt in to a '78. Of course, in the case of a dashboard, you will probably have to do some wiring work due to vehicle options and/or computer differences.
I love this elcaminocentral.com site, but I think all 5th gen owners should at least check out gbodyforum.com for the information available there.

BTW welcome to ECC from Seattle, Wa. with a '78 Caballero and a '79 El Camino.

·
Premium Member
9,813 Posts
Hi AJN, welcome from Idaho. Glad you've joined us. Looking forward to seeing pictures of your 86 El Camino. Where abouts are you located. Have fun with your 86 El Camino and the community.

·
Deputy Regional Director, Region 13
5,283 Posts
if you mean a straight bolt-on, that's pretty much any g-body, underneath and from the cab forward.
there are also some other swaps that require extremely minimal tweaking, such as the front disc brake setup or the rear differential.
for the front discs you can pull the whole spindle from a 1999-2005 4-dr 4x2 Blazer and it will bolt right up.
you can also pull the rear discs from the same Blazer and install them with a little bit of work.
for the rear diff, you can pull one from an F-body '80s Camaro that has a better performance ratio and install it. there are also some other swap options but those take a little bit more work.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
…And if you’re asking about sheetmetal, ‘83-‘87 Camino and Caballero are exact fit. Fenders go back to ‘78 except that, before ‘82 they don’t have marker light holes (same applies to Malibus during their production). Header panel from ‘83 and up Malibu, Camino and Caballero swap. Malibu coupe doors (except for glass and some internal hardware differences) swap from ‘78-‘87 I think. Some of the Pontiac G bodies (LeMans and Bonneville G) may share some parts.
Are you looking for something specific?
Patrick

·
Registered
1978 Elcamino base 305
91 Posts
Welcome and enjoy! One thing that is unique to the 5th gen Elcamino / Caballero is the Frame.

·
Registered
1978 Elcamino base 305
91 Posts
No the frame is different due to wheelbase also. G body cars 108” 5 th gen Elcamino 117” Frame is unique and not shared with anything else.

·
Deputy Regional Director, Region 13
5,283 Posts
No the frame is different due to wheelbase also. G body cars 108” 5 th gen Elcamino 117” Frame is unique and not shared with anything else.
I've always wondered about that because I've seen statements like "They only stretched out the trunk floor...<etc>" which never made sense if you consider the wheelbase

·
Registered
854 Posts
AJN, what are you referring to? It all depends on what you're interesting in doing. If you're talking about engines, trans, drive trains, etc., many GM parts in these categories are interchangeable. If you're referring to body parts, an 86 El Camino is a 5th Gen G-body which includes 78-87 model years and many parts will fit. If you're talking about suspension parts, some A-Body parts will fit.

So, to ask a broad question like yours, without specifics, is not helpful to those who want to help. Give us more information.

·
Senior Member - 2019 Exceptional Action Award
707 Posts
I bought my first G body in 88', a 79' V6 3sp Elky bet to crap by a kid that got it give to him after is granddad passed. Needless to say it needed a lot of parts, grill, bumper, hood, fender, door, interior, engine, tranny, etc !! So I have bought every body style of g body there is except 4 door! It's amazing how many parts are interchangeable ! I even used the rears frame horns from a 86' Monte Carlo I bought for the drive train for my 84' ! I had to splice and weld some but did patch the frame of my 79' !

1 - 11 of 11 Posts