El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone happened to be watching CNN lately, they did a program on rip-off/bogus charities. The one that got my attention was one called "disabled American veterans foundation" I got a thing in the mail from that outfit, the same day I saw the program on CNN. Seems like they don't give squat to disabled vets organizations. Their mailers are put out by an outfit that supplies mailing lists, and cheap crap in the letters, to make donors feel guilty, & send money. And they want your credit card number too, which is a red flag to me.
A couple vets organizations were interviewed, and they said the "foundation" only sent them some odds & ends that they got for nothing, which means nothing useful to a disabled vet. Really pissed me off while watching what they were doing.

So if anyone here gets any mailer from them, ****-can it....

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
I wonder about some of them also. I think there is a website that show legit charities and the ones who are scams but I don't know it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I saw that on tv the other day! It's pretty scary to know there are organizations that do this sort of thing.

Probably best that I've always only donated to local charities I know are legit.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
I saw that on tv the other day! It's pretty scary to know there are organizations that do this sort of thing.

Probably best that I've always only donated to local charities I know are legit.
X2 on that. Anyone that emails me gets deleted and anyone that calls gets hung up on.

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
These crooks should do hard time for this. IMHO the two best charities are the Marine Toys For Tots and the Salvation Army.

·
Premium Member
2,927 Posts
Does anyone have any insight on the group "Wounded Warriors" which has cameo appearances by Fred Williams and one of the top country singers (Trace Atkins???)

I agree with Lockjaw about Salvation Army, for sure.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Does anyone have any insight on the group "Wounded Warriors" which has cameo appearances by Fred Williams and one of the top country singers (Trace Atkins???)

I agree with Lockjaw about Salvation Army, for sure.
X2 on Toys for Tots also.

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
John, I know firsthand that " The Wounded Warrior Project is totally legit and is a very transparent org. Many of my retired Marine buddies are involved. This org gets into helping the family of the returning "warriors" on many levels. Rest assured that Trace Atkins would not go near the org if anything was smelly.
I am involved with several charities for vets. There are many great ones. Leave it to some lowlifes to devise schemes to rip off the contributors and show contempt for the sacrifices made by the injured.

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
Sean, when I was a teen growing up in Morristown, N.J. I was a SA volunteer. I played Christmas Carols with my accordian on the town "green" next to the money bucket during Christmas week. I gave up on the ARC after Katrina. The SA also has the lowest % of administrative costs of all the major charities.
Toys For Tots has NO adm0inistrative overhead. Operated by the US MARINE RESERVE CORPS and staffed by volunteer Marines and civilians. TFT delivers millions of new toys to needy families across the country. My detachment alone distributes 14,000 toys every Christmas thanks to the generosity of the citizens and school children who also collect toys for us.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I'm dirt poor... but my family is well to do. haha Their probably the top 1% of the 1%. Anywho, some solid advice / rational my grandfather once gave me is only donate if it goes directly to the source. He said he would rather set 100 million on fire than donate it to a charity where the top 3 scum bags will pocket 90% of it as "operational costs" and donate 1% if that and keep 9% as emergency funds. IE that BS about Kony 2012 that was going on for a while.

A while ago someone told him that the local baseball park had no money and couldn't afford to supply the kids with uniforms. Instead of *giving them money*, he said order all the uniforms and any new equipment that is needed and give him the bill from the supplier so he could pay them directly.

·
Premium Member
2,283 Posts
Salvation Army has always been there for the military, Red Cross not so much based on my experiences. Toys for Tots and Wounded Warriors Project excellent charities for families of military. The IRS has a list of legitimate charities too.

·
Venerated Member RIP
4,461 Posts
I "Got Volunteered" for Toys for Tots one year by my Gunny.
I must say it was one of the most REWARDING experiences I had in my 4 years in the corps.
Now some 30+ years later I always buy a toy to donate.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
There is a one that is going around also Paralyzed Veterans of America. Does anyone know how legit this is? What does the VA do for those who are handicapped b/c of wartime injuries? Just wondering.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Amen, to all. these non'profits are a hoax. SA is the best, their leaders work for a modest wage and don't get rich.
Goodwill and most of the rest just in it to make money.

off the subject a bit but Blue Cross Blue Shield in NC is a non-profit, but they have dozens of execs. making way over $100k and some making over $1 mil, just gripes the crap out of me, then they help write the Obama care laws to pad their pockets again. They tell the docs and hospitals what they are going to do in this state, The feds already said they are a monolopy.... Phonies

1 - 16 of 16 Posts