El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 650 cfm Edlebrock Carb that i can hear a boiling noise and see gas vapors escaping after the its been run. Is this normal or is there something wrong? Tried searching but not sure what I am looking for.

Also on a side note i am not impressed with the performance of my carb, would a Mountain Man Carb be better?

Specs: 79 Callerbro that has a 350 been bored .030 over with a mild cam and dual exchust. I didnt build the engine so i dont know all the specs.

Any imput would be awesome thank you

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Not the carbs problem but a heat soak issue,, the heat is rising from the intake causing the fuel to boil,,, not good as you see,, do you know if the cross over (that is on each side of the head intake man. side) was plugged or if the gasket is open for the heat to warm the carb?? Also a heat shield that bolts to the bottom of the carb gasket flange will keep the heat off as well,, but my guess is the crossover is open and to much heat gettting to the carb,, what is temp of the engine while your running?? Do you have a temp gauge that shows the temp of the motor,, What intake are you running?? I have a very silmar engine but a Air Gap intake without the exhaust crossover if I remember right,, Matty man

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well im not to sure about what my brand my intake is I can tell you that it is a dual plain intake. Im not so sure about the cross over on the carb? The engine runs around 185-195ish. there is no heat shield the carb is directly bolted to the intake.
Would a carb spacer help at all?
And what is a air gap?
Sorry about all the newb questions it my first carbed car lol

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Not a problem,, the only stupid question is the one that was not asked,, so anyway on the intake is there any markings such as Holley,, Edelbrock ect,,,?? A air gap intake is a intake that the intake runners (were the fuel goes to the heads) are "exposed" there are not molded in the intake like your dual plane,, go to Edelbrocks web site and look at one,, suppose to give a denser fuel charge,, also look at the heat shield they have as well, that would help a boat load IMO,, not sure a spacer will fit unless you have a cowl hood,, I could be wrong on that,, I would say the exhaust crossovers are not blocked and you are getting a whole lot of heat through them,, can you take a pic of your intake and carb?? Get a pic of the center of the carb and one side if the intake manifold(right in the middle of the intake side taht bolts to the heads),, the cure?? swap out a intake manifold gaskets that dont have the crossover ports or block them off if taht is the main problem,, do a search on here and see if anything comes up,, Matty man
Another thought,, rare for me to have two or more in one day,,, how is your fuel line ran?? Does it go ver the exhaust manifold or lay on the intake before it goes into the carb?? You can take 3/8 rubber line and cut it on one end and cover your fuel line so it does not absorb heat, could be part of the problem,,,,

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I couldnt find any markings on the intake telling what brand it is.
I beb if i put a smaller air cleaner on it i could put on a carb spacer or just a hear sheild

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Are you running a manual or electric fuel pump?? The Edelbrocks dont run well at all with over 5.5 psi of fuel pressure,, not sure where the fuel line goes to in the pics but laying on the heater box might have an issue with the boiling,, might,, Matty man

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
You can add a phenolic carb spacer to shield the carb from the rising heat. Available in a variety of thicknesses. You will need to replace studs with longer ones to complete the job..It's cake!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yea i am running a electric fuel pump but it at just over 6 psi ill turn down the regulator and move the fuel line off of the heater box to see if it will help

1 - 8 of 8 Posts