El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Director Region 6 (FL) - 2017 Founders' Award Reci
5,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeks ago , my wife and I had an enjoyable day when we visited the Bok Tower in Lake Wales , Florida . I had first been there the year before when Deputy Director R/T and Ona organized a fun get together for us . There is a forum a couple of pages back here in the Region 6 , Fl. forums entitled " Ms. Elly`s Second Annual Corral " , with photos of the gardens and members or you can Google the Bok Tower . We had successfully made our first trip in our new 17 ft. travel trailer and were staying at the Lake Kissimmee State Park a mere 18 miles away . The tower and gardens were again so beautiful and I have wanted my wife to enjoy them also . The weather was a beautiful clear day with temps around 73 . Orange groves surrounded the area and were laden-ed with oranges . We tried the allusion-ally Spook Hill were you put your vehicle in neutral and it gives the look that you are rolling uphill . We failed to see it several times and it must be some kind of joke ? Anyone know ?

· Registered
343 Posts
I grew up in Winter Haven, and I can assure you, as high school kids back in the late 1960's, none of us gave much interest to Spook Hill. Picked oranges for 25 cents/crate to make gas money, that we were interested in!

· Director Region 6 (FL) - 2017 Founders' Award Reci
5,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Bok Tower is truly a beautiful place . We were there when the Carrtllons / bells were played . I believe the bells range in size from 16 to 12,000 pounds and the sounds are really cool . All of the grounds are so well landscaped and cared for . The diversity of foliage is outstanding . I especially enjoyed the chilled grass covered hillsides that overlook the vast acreage of orange groves . I don`t think I have every seen so many Robins flying around at one time . With the winter migration ongoing , it was great seeing the diversity of birds . I took a few photos but have not learned how to post them . Neil and Chuck have helped me do the photo thing and I think it will be possible . The school next to Spook Hill is aptly named Spook Hill Elementary . I wonder if their mascot is a ghost ? Tom , if you don`t mind me asking , where in Jamaica have you been ?

· Registered
3,052 Posts
The Bok Tower is truly a beautiful place . We were there when the Carrtllons / bells were played . I believe the bells range in size from 16 to 12,000 pounds and the sounds are really cool . All of the grounds are so well landscaped and cared for . The diversity of foliage is outstanding . I especially enjoyed the chilled grass covered hillsides that overlook the vast acreage of orange groves . I don`t think I have every seen so many Robins flying around at one time . With the winter migration ongoing , it was great seeing the diversity of birds . I took a few photos but have not learned how to post them . Neil and Chuck have helped me do the photo thing and I think it will be possible . The school next to Spook Hill is aptly named Spook Hill Elementary . I wonder if their mascot is a ghost ? Tom , if you don`t mind me asking , where in Jamaica have you been ?
Lenny , last time we were at Bok Tower we drove by Spook Hill but could not find the entrance . I 1st was there in 1955 , it is real but some say it is an optical allusion others say it is magnetic , Iron mountain is where the Bok Tower is & there is a large iron deposit underground perhaps an ancient meteor crashed there , iron deposits are rare in Florida . Also during T-storms the tower attracts a lot of lightning . But it does seem you are rolling up hill .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts