El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The ride of my 86 Caballero has gone south! Every bump in the road jars my teeth. I installed stock front and rear shocks with little or no improvement. Next, I installed a pair of rubber spacers in each of the front and rear springs, but again with little or no improvement.

Does anyone think that the adjustable type shocks would be worth the investment? Or should I just go ahead and replace the springs all the way around?

Any advice will be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The shocks I installed were Gabriel/Springfield Gas Sport Rider. Could it be that these are too stiff to allow a softer ride?

·
1,867 Posts
I think the Gabriels are probadly not doing enough to support your springs.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Are your springs in good cond? The originals were pretty weak, and prone to breaking the lower most coils. As for shocks, Have you considered a more performace type shock? I'm running the KYB gas-a-just all around on my '78, the ride is smooth and bumps arn't harsh. I hear Bilstiens work great on G-bodies as well.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The springs are original. They appear to be in good shape - not broken and are not sagging. I think I will install the adjustable shocks like you are running. Thanks for the advice.

·
1,867 Posts
I had kybs on the front for a while now & like them very much. I decided to get them for the rear & do away with the air shocks (bags are on the way). They made a big difference in the way the car feels & handles. I would highly recommend them.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
spoonplugger said:
The springs are original. They appear to be in good shape - not broken and are not sagging. I think I will install the adjustable shocks like you are running. Thanks for the advice.
The KYB gas-a-just arn't actually adjustable manually. Thier named that for the way they adjust to the road. Also, like tommy said, do away with the air shocks. But only if you don't plan on hauling much weight anymore. Going with the KYB shocks all around on mine, and not using air shocks, made a big positive difference in ride quality.

·
1,867 Posts
I hope my air bags get here soon because I do haul alot. From what I have read they are very superior to air shocks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts