El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1960 El Camino 350, 5 speed, GM 12 Bolt, 4 wheel disk brakes, air
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
it was an older father / son home rebuild... was running when I got it, 80's truck drive train components ( 350 , T-5 5 Speed, GM 12 Bolt Rear Axle... 4 wheel disk brakes, & air conditioning

a lot of the body work was not to my standards ( there are 2X4's incorporated into the floor, as they used too thin a metal to patch ) ... my Classic Plates installed after the car got into Minnesota, are...... 60 CRZR... I got a good price on it, knowing it was a project car... I live on a gravel road, so it'll never have a high end paint job, it's "home sprayed" satin black, which works for me... My goal was to keep the car cruising, & fix stuff as it bothers me most... the 1st thing, was it had too narrow of seat ( it was about like getting in my 38 Nash, without using the running boards... ya kinda had to throw yourself into it... the little dogs could run circles around the seat... former owner said his wife linda liked being able to put her purse between the seat & the door ) Last year I put a custom 2 tone Black & Grey ( propper size ) Leather bench seat, from Cerullo in California ( Cerullo Seats ) & then I made a new diamond tuck matching rear window shelf, since that was missing...
This years project, was the bed... the original builders had put a sheet of steel diamond plate over the rusted out factory corrugated... which was now rusting also... it bothered me the most, getting into the bed, & having all the rusty layers crunching under foot... I didn't know that the factory kept the original station wagon steel in the back, & put the corrugated on top of that ( so I had 3 rusty layers holding water, & rusting even more ) I also found out the station wagon supports were open on the top, holding water & dirt, causing them to rust out as well...
Well at least the frame & sub frame that holds the bed supports were C Channel sideways & solid so I cut everything out over the winter, & had channels bent out of 2-3 times thicker steel, & set up to be open on the bottom...
the most surprising thing, was the "smugglers compartment" rear floor board was reasonably solid... only had a couple patch thin sheet metal pieces

so I was going to make an access to that area through the cab wall, but I've decided to convert those to coolers with a couple layers of fiber glass over the whole interior, then a layer of foam & bed liner for a top coat , with duck bill drain valves to drain the water... I'm using a much thicker layer of flat steel for the bed floor ( 3/16" ), & have a couple O-ring sealed Black Boat deck hatches to access the coolers... bed will get Black Bed Liner, & finished with polished stainless strips from wood bed kits

once the bed is done this summer, I'm hoping to redo the passenger door over next winter, it's rusty on the bottom, & the window regulator needs work... it functions, but is pretty clunky

open for any suggestions on this mild custom... will ad a few pictures...

1st day home last year... came home in an ice storm

With new seat, rear window shelf, & new tinted rear window added last year

Late last summer, before pulling it in the shop for the winter, & starting on the bed restoration

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
starting in on the bed... the factory bed floor, after removing the piece of steel diamond plate that covered the problem...

under the corrugated...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Rust converter coated the insides of the box sections, before welding new steel in place...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
all the while still being able to cruise it... though the cruise range with the gas tank out, & hooked to the 5 gallon gas can was about what a sportster with a peanut tank could do :)

got a few more to load up... gas tank is back in it, & spare tire mounted right now... my tank is leaking from the sending unit gasket, after I filled it, after being out of the car all winter so I had to order a gasket up... will be much easier to replace with the bed floor out

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Got a couple more pictures... Bones are complete... working on the Coolers ( smugglers compartments ) & the bed floor right now, before I address the badly beat up front box wall, & the wheel houses... I figured the wheel wells were all rusted out by the way they looked, but they are just beat up from abuse over the years...
The C Clamped strips are there to pull measurements for the 2 outside bed pieces, that will be cut 1st, & fitted, then the rectangular center section added... the stainless strips similar to what is on wood bed kits will cover the seams, & be spaced about every 7" across the bed width, & on the tailgate, after the metal work is finished, & the spray in bed liner goes on...

The duck bill drains for each cooler... one will be mounted on each side of the rear floor pan section, before I fiberglass them to waterproof seal and prevent rusting on the steel, before I foam them... I'm making stainless mounting rings to use instead of the white plastic that came with them... also will be incorporating some coarse stainless screen over the top of each valve, to keep ice cubes from opening the duck bill valves, and falling out

The o-ring sealed Boat Deck Hatches, that will provide access to the 2 coolers ( will be putting a divider in the middle of the rear floor pan section, before foaming it, making 2 separate insulated compartments, so if you wanted one warm, & one cold you could do that... or beers on one side & sodas on the other )

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Looking forward to following your build. Keep the pics coming! They inspire me to take on new projects on my 68....

Reactions: Magnum Wheel Man

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
making templates for the outer pieces of the box floor... these will be cut out of 3/16" steel sheet stock... I marked every 2" on the "C" clamped flat stock, & pulled a measurement on each 2" mark... marked the same 2" marks on the length of the cardboard... I had to radius between a few of the marks for the filler neck, & fender... there will be 1.5" wide strips of 3/16" steel welded on the bottom of the 2 outside pieces between the ribs, where they'll seam against the center section... these will support the edges of the pieces of the bed, between the ribs, & give me a place to screw into, when adding the stainless strips, that will cover the seams, rather than just running a screw into the crack between the pieces...

·
Registered
957 Posts
I envy your talents. Everything I want done means a visit to a shop.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have talented buddies that make me look good...
the passenger door project over next winter, I'm going to pay to have someone do that... I just don't have the time, or a heated shop to work in, in the winter... I was hoping the bed would be done by this spring, but I just couldn't make myself get anything done in the shop last winter... so it's not looking as nice this summer, while I'm working on it, & cruising at the same time...
it was never going to be a real show car for me... but isn't very "showy" mid construction

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
in case anyone was wondering what the 4" steel circles were in the previous pictures... with the "funky" 4 link suspension on the rear axle, ( that will be replaced with a more traditional 4 link, when it's time comes ) & the "X" frame of the 1st generation El Caminos, there is very little room for the exhaust to get behind the rear axle... the car had exhaust that dumped out in front of the rear tires... with long tube headers, & burnt out glass packs... she was really loud when I got it... I rebuilt the exhaust with the long tube headers, all new pipes, & "real" mufflers, & nicer stainless exhaust tips... ( it's still plenty loud... just not blast your ears out, front row rock concert loud ) I had to mount the rear of the pipes to the old mounts, a small piece of angle iron only bolted through the rear floor pan, right next to the "too thin" metal they used on the floor during previous work... the 4" X 1/4" disks are epoxied to the rear floor pans, after those were sprayed with rust converter to stabilize what was there, & after the disks were drilled & tapped for bolts to be screwed in From the bottom... a much stronger exhaust mounting point... the disks, besides being epoxied in, will be fiber glassed over, when the rear floor pan gets fiber glassed, to insure those mounts are solid, for the rest of the car's life

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
worked on the car again, since it’s been raining... made a template out of cardboard for the divider sheet between sides of the rear floor pan, then cut it out of sheet metal and installed it, then fiberglassed both sides fully, including the oval vent holes on the outer edges, everything got 2 layers of glass fabric... point here is not fixing rust, as much as to fully seal the metal, to prevent it from getting wet, when the 2 sides are filled with ice... an inch of spray in foam, should keep the metal from getting wet with sweat... I also cut some stainless screen to fit the drains I’m working on, after drilling the 2” holes in the lowest portion of the rear floor pan, so they’ll fully drain on their own... am having some 4” aluminum bent into angles, these will go along the sides at the top, and hold pieces of 2” thick foam board in place at the top of the coolers... they will be sandwiched between the aluminum angles, and the steel bed sheets when they go in... the spray in foam on the rear floor section, and sides will be a minimum of 1” thick, but may be applied in several layers to make the coolers roughly rectangular... then sprayed with spray on pick-up bed liner, to make them more durable, and more easily maintained on the insides... hopefully should keep a bag of ice in each one for 2 days, is my goal

will post some more pictures next week when I get to my computer...

btw... a good tip... don’t put your cell phone in your shirt pocket, if you are bending over the sides to apply the fiberglass... ;)

mine fell into the floor pan, while it was wet with freshly applied fiberglass... fortunately the rubbery protective case bends enough to get the hard resin off the case

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Glass work in progress

stainless rings for the drains along with a scrap of stainless screen...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Screen installed on the cooler drains...

Ready for spray in foam next...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
picked up my bent pieces of aluminum today ( .080" strips bent into 2" angle lengths )... these will be riveted around the tops of the two rear floor pan sections, & will support the 2" foam board tops to the coolers... after they get riveted in, then the smugglers compartments will get foamed with spray foam insulation...
... then everything gets a couple coats of aerosol spray in pick-up bed liner inside... it's taking a lot longer than I planned to get the bed floor in, but having these coolers will be a most practical use of space that was completely lost as originally designed & built in 1960...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
got my aluminum angles framed around the tops of the 2 cooler sections, & got the foam bought... was pretty tough to work on this last weekend, with temps hovering around 100*... however that is perfect foaming temps, as that needs to be warm enough, to come out of the tanks properly... I didn't grab a pic of the aluminum yet, but hoping to get the foam in today or tomorrow, while it's still that hot, so I'll post a few more pictures soon...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts