El Camino Central Forum banner
61 - 80 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
I finally had the opportunity to take the pan off this transmission and although the fluid was new there was quite a bit of trash in the pan.

·
Premium Member
1,971 Posts
Looks like clutch friction disk material. At least there weren't any metal chunks from internal hard parts.

Rick

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Looks like clutch friction disk material. At least there weren't any metal chunks from internal hard parts.

Rick

Should I take it somewhere and have them check it out . Replace the clutches , and refresh anything that needs it? There is a reputable shop a couple of towns away.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
With all the goo in there I would.

Usually with a worn trans, changing the fluid and filter is the kiss of death.

·
Premium Member
1,971 Posts
Yes, time for a rebuild. You will be reaching quite deep into the transmission to reach the friction disks so a rebuild is called for.

Don't be surprised if the valve body also needs reaming and oversized pistons need to be installed. This is all fair wear and tear on vehicles our age. Nothing to be surprised at here.

My 1999 GMC Sierra 4L60E needed it at a little over 150,000 miles though it had been rebuilt at least once before that at some point after 2004 given the type of rebuild parts that were already installed.

It happens. And $2100 later, it shifts like brand new.

Rick

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
I talked to a local shop and he told me he could rebuild it , but if my oil pump is toast then there isn’t anything he can do. So hopefully one of these pumps is good. Gonna drop two transmissions off and get one good one in return.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Just an aside, that filter you showed appears to be a K&N cleanable/reuseable filter element.
The new engine you acquired appears to be in nice shape base on the inside of the covers.

Hans

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Alright, well it’s been a while since I have posted anything at all. I have worked a couple of nights , nearly through the night, after work trying to get this thing back together. I even took an extra day off work last week to try and get it done before this weekend. We plan on loading a couple of bikes in the back and heading off to Barber’s Vintage Fest.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood

i know it’s a little dark and hard to see what’s going on but I got the motor out at this point and was working on wrapping the exhaust and getting the surface rust knocked off everything in the engine bay. I painted it with a rubber coat undercoating. I removed the front clip and the radiator support as well and cleaned and painted it as well. The turn signal lights were in pretty rough shape. So I cleaned the up as well.
Hood Human body Gesture Food Fish

Before 👆🏼
Saw Tool Wood Wrist Human leg

and after 👆🏼. I had to use an old bottle brush to get inside and clean the lenses as best I could.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Getting ready to mate the motor and transmission. The guy that owned the transmission shop had the same last name as me and it’s rare when they are spelled the same we traced it back a few relatives and found out we were related somehow. He was really nice and helpful. The pump that came out of the transmission that was originally in the car was toast. And the sprag fell out in pieces. But the transmission I bought with the new motor had a near perfect pump in it. So he rebuilt that one for me and had it back to me in about a week. I checked the tolerances and ended up have to use some 1/8 inch thick washers to mate the torque converter to the flywheel.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

I had a neighbor and friend come over and help me to get the engine and transmission set into the engine bay. And we ran into some trouble and gave up about ten o clock that night and decided to give it a go the next day.
Car Vehicle Tire Hood Motor vehicle

So in all the excitement I didn’t realize I didn’t change the motor mounts , this motor came out of a truck and the mounts would not fit at all. One Mount would go and the other wouldn’t. So after I figured out my folly we pulled it back out and put the other motor mounts on and it dropped right in place no problem. I felt real stupid after that one.
Wheel Car Vehicle Tire Motor vehicle

There it is dropped in and secured in place. So today was my day off (I have every Tuesday and Sunday off) and I got off work last night and worked real hard getting all the little things done. I had to bend a vacuum line for the vacuum modulator in the transmission and rig up several connections to get it to work with the dedicated vacuum hole in the back of the intake. The worst part of it all was getting the transmission cooler lines bent and put in place. Even with the bending tool I ruined one line and had to go back to the parts store and get another. I didn’t do a good job at all and am not pleased with where they are in the engine bay, but the will have to do for now. It’s functional even if it isn’t pretty. I got all the fluids in their proper holes, checked and double checked connections, then got in the car and turned the ignition on. The fuel pump came on , but it was about two in the morning so I waited till I got up the next day to try it. It didn’t start. And then I remembered I never grounded the motor. So I did that then tried it and it ran but really rough. Like the spark it was getting wasn’t good. So I went back to the parts store and got an accel ignition coil and an msd cap and rotor. Turned the crank till it was at TDC and plugged it all back up. Tried it again and it ran great. I had to retard the timing a bit , but it screams. It sounds like it has a mild cam and definitely seems like it Has plenty of power. I was trying to get it timed and everything hooked up, all while it was raining. So once it ran well enough to move it I did and got the front portion under the roof of my work area.
Car Vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting

then it was on to getting the front clip back on. Which was a cinch.
Vehicle Car Vehicle registration plate Grille Hood

I’m not gonna put the hood back on or the bumper. The guy I got it from has two more. One with a locked up motor but a stock hood and a smooth all chrome bumper I want. Then it will be a running and driving project again. I’ll keep you updated on the body work as I accomplish it. Sorry to be so long winded it’s been a long couple of weeks though.

·
Registered
87 elcamino v6 4.3 t.b.i.
279 Posts
Well since I have the motor out of it. I thought I might try and figure out what went wrong. And possibly see if it’s salvageable. Before I tore into anything I checked the casting numbers on the block. They were found on the passenger side of the block. They revealed it was made from 87-95. So I tore into it tonight when I got off of work. And boy was this rigged together. View attachment 140330
a little before shot. I’m about to tear it down. View attachment 140331
Two of the ears for the mounting bracket that holds the alternator in place had broken off previously and had been welded back on. View attachment 140332
this bracket also holds the power steering pump in place and you can tell by the photo of it that it suffered from a pretty bad leak as well. I noticed this after driving it around for a while . It would leave a small puddle of fluid everywhere I parked it. View attachment 140333
that bolt was quite the pain to get out. View attachment 140334
next was removing the A/C compressor. Which served no purpose other than helping to hold the belt in place. It was never hooked up in the car. Because the aluminum lines in the engine bay had been cut with what looked like bolt cutters. View attachment 140335
can anyone tell me what that is on the back of the motor? It has a male electrical end and is placed directly into the block. But it wasn’t hooked up either and I have no clue what it is.
I believe that is a dummy sensor for oil pressure. Seen in mine and that's my best guess. If you figured it out,please share with me.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Well since I have the motor out of it. I thought I might try and figure out what went wrong. And possibly see if it’s salvageable. Before I tore into anything I checked the casting numbers on the block. They were found on the passenger side of the block. They revealed it was made from 87-95. So I tore into it tonight when I got off of work. And boy was this rigged together. View attachment 140330
a little before shot. I’m about to tear it down. View attachment 140331
Two of the ears for the mounting bracket that holds the alternator in place had broken off previously and had been welded back on. View attachment 140332
this bracket also holds the power steering pump in place and you can tell by the photo of it that it suffered from a pretty bad leak as well. I noticed this after driving it around for a while . It would leave a small puddle of fluid everywhere I parked it. View attachment 140333
that bolt was quite the pain to get out. View attachment 140334
next was removing the A/C compressor. Which served no purpose other than helping to hold the belt in place. It was never hooked up in the car. Because the aluminum lines in the engine bay had been cut with what looked like bolt cutters. View attachment 140335
can anyone tell me what that is on the back of the motor? It has a male electrical end and is placed directly into the block. But it wasn’t hooked up either and I have no clue what it is.
I believe that is a dummy sensor for oil pressure. Seen in mine and that's my best guess. If you figured it out,please share with me
I never did figure out what it was , and the new motor I got didn’t have one on it at all. So I’m unsure what it is
Thanks. Congrats on all work you have accomplish. Just finished reading whole thread. Thanks for the good story ,and keep posting please. Impressed with your resources (garage), and your dedication. Jeez I wish I had a garage... I work out a tent garage. Big expensive. Roundtop one, on driveway blacktop, but much to be desired. Can't work in there. Only store car and all tools and toolbox. Wish I lived near you, I would be there helping. Your lucky,you have great wife to put up with that kinda money spent. Mine would cut me off,lol. Cold night's. Safe driving💨

·
Registered
279 Posts
I believe that is a dummy sensor for oil pressure. Seen in mine and that's my best guess. If you figured it out,please share with me

Thanks. Congrats on all work you have accomplish. Just finished reading whole thread. Thanks for the good story ,and keep posting please. Impressed with your resources (garage), and your dedication. Jeez I wish I had a garage... I work out a tent garage. Big expensive. Roundtop one, on driveway blacktop, but much to be desired. Can't work in there. Only store car and all tools and toolbox. Wish I lived near you, I would be there helping. Your lucky,you have great wife to put up with that kinda money spent. Mine would cut me off,lol. Cold night's. Safe driving💨
and yes,confirmed it is a oil pressure sending unit for either a dummy light,or gauge. Now we know for future.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·

Thanks, I converted a covered back porch into a place to work. My grandpa took down an old boat shed , and we used the spare wood to partially enclose the porch so as to keep out the rain water. Where do you live ?
My wife is probably the most patient and caring woman I have ever had the pleasure of knowing. Even though that’s the case she is still pretty salty over the elco. I’m over 5k in it now. But hey it is what it is.
She was super salty when she found out I spent a hundred bucks on a commissioned hot wheels car. I need the inspiration, and motivation. I have a dream about an el Camino and a dirtbike, and this is like a miniature.
Wheel Car Tire Hood Vehicle
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Car Vehicle

complete with the mud and all. I love this little thing.

·
Registered
279 Posts
In n.j. .o.m.g. I didint know hotwheels did that . its so cool. Looks jus like one of your pics. I noticed it cause I do same thing (carrying dirt bike) with mine. I have 87. But love the body shape of front end from your year. 5-k? Yikes. Wouldn't it have been just as expensive to buy a already built up one? I.d.k. about your year, but a "survivor" (not built up,stock) goes between 4500-7000, depending on engine/trans/interior. Man if I knew that before I bought my current one,I could I've invested all that time, energy, money, more wisely and have a completely built up elk with big block. But I did not realize that they sold for that cheap for a survivor. Maybe it's different because your year is more rare and more desired. If I had it to do again,I would buy stock survivor,big block,upgrade intake/exhuast and call it a day. Might still do it. I feel so de-emasculated driving a anemic 262 4.3. V6. Its no fun. Only upside is all stock/never molested........yet. Considering switching from current t.b.I. carb, to a bolt on quadrajet. I would gain 25 hp. (That's what g.m. factory specs have between the two) But if I do that might as well do intake, and dist, and then it never stops... Sux to have v6 such heavy car. But being all stock /factory makes up for it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
In n.j. .o.m.g. I didint know hotwheels did that . its so cool. Looks jus like one of your pics. I noticed it cause I do same thing (carrying dirt bike) with mine. I have 87. But love the body shape of front end from your year. 5-k? Yikes. Wouldn't it have been just as expensive to buy a already built up one? I.d.k. about your year, but a "survivor" (not built up,stock) goes between 4500-7000, depending on engine/trans/interior. Man if I knew that before I bought my current one,I could I've invested all that time, energy, money, more wisely and have a completely built up elk with big block. But I did not realize that they sold for that cheap for a survivor. Maybe it's different because your year is more rare and more desired. If I had it to do again,I would buy stock survivor,big block,upgrade intake/exhuast and call it a day. Might still do it. I feel so de-emasculated driving a anemic 262 4.3. V6. Its no fun. Only upside is all stock/never molested........yet. Considering switching from current t.b.I. carb, to a bolt on quadrajet. I would gain 25 hp. (That's what g.m. factory specs have between the two) But if I do that might as well do intake, and dist, and then it never stops... Sux to have v6 such heavy car. But being all stock /factory makes up for it.
Mine wasn’t a very pretty survivor when I got her. She had been drag raced quite a bit. From what I’ve heard it had At least two other motors in it. And one was a big block. When it died on me I was already almost 3k in and figured I was already that deep so I might as well get another motor and fix her up again.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Can I upload a video here ?
Dont know about video. Pics ive done. But not seen videos. I think you've got to "share" it. if you have google photos,you make a vid or ,pic ,place it in album to seclude it from other media,and share it,wich apparently makes a link to send to whomever ur trying to share with. This was just explained to me ,and I have not yet tried. Check f.a.q. in this site.

·
Premium Member
5,227 Posts
Can I upload a video here ?
Since videos can be large (storage wise), they are placed on a different hosted site (possibly YouTube).
Then you can use the URL of the video to add it to a post.

This link will take you to the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ).
You can then scroll down to How To Add A Video To Your Post.

61 - 80 of 93 Posts