El Camino Central Forum banner
81 - 93 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
Tire Car Wheel Vehicle Window

I got off work Thursday night around midnight and headed home. When I got there I loaded the el Camino down and then realized I had forgot my medicine at the shop. So at 3:30 in the A.M. I decided to do a shake down run with it loaded for Barber’s. I got back home about an hour later and my wife left with me, following behind in her Prius.
Water Sky Water resources Ecoregion Automotive lighting

the sun came up and lots of fog with it until we got to Birmingham , then it seemed to clear up.
Tire Car Wheel Vehicle Sky

we made it to the event about 7 in the morning. And all went well. Until I went to pull out of Buccee’s . It struggled to start but finally did, and we went on into the event.
Car Land vehicle Vehicle Cloud Motor vehicle

I unloaded the bikes and went about the day, we found a pw50 for my little one for real cheap and had to snatch it up. They usually go for between five hundred to 1200 in our area, so at 325 it’s a steal. My wife left before me as I went to the upper swap meet to see if I could find some pw parts. While up there I ran into Ken Kaplan of Kaplan cycles in Connecticut. Had a chat and loaded the elco back up and went to head out , it was a 30min drive to the farm where we had gotten an air bnb. And about fifteen miles from my destination the car started to act funny. I pulled off an exit trying to make it into a loves truck stop , and it died. A Good Samaritan helped me to push it into the lot and I tried to start it again, it started and died just as I pulled into an actual spot. I called my wife and she came to were I was , we took the battery off and headed to a nearby Walmart, to exchange the battery. Only problem was the automotive section had closed and there was no one to test the battery. One of the techs had just gotten off duty and he said we should be able to just take it to the customer service desk and exchange it. So we tried , but they refused because they needed a receipt from automotive saying it was dead. My wife had the foresight to remember the guys name off his name tag and they paged him up to the front , and he lied and said he tested the battery but forgot to get the receipt. But they gave us a new one anyway, I hooked it up and the car started and ran all the way back to the air bnb. I woke up the next day and never messed with it.I unloaded the xr1200 and rode it to the event , this morning after church I got to the elco and started it and removed the battery cable and it died. So we drove it to autozone and bought a new alternator. I sent my wife for food and it took her longer to sit in the drive thru line than it took me to change the alternator and exchange it for my core charge refund.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive fuel system Automotive exterior

i didn’t bring a breaker bar with me and ended up having to use the trailer hitch for extra leverage to loosen the belt. Fired it up and removed the battery cable after a few seconds, and it ran. Only thing was it was smoking a bit and leaking oil from the oil pan right above the starter and exhaust, so it was dripping onto the exhaust and causing it to smoke.
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Here she is broken down momentarily at loves.
Plant Grass People in nature Sheep Grass family

a small pic of the farm and someone’s future breakfast.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

a pit stop about eighty miles from home. My mini me just had to ride with dad in the el Camino the whole way there and back.
Sky Hood Windscreen wiper Motor vehicle Road surface

A little pic from the back from a wife that was losing her mind following me, wondering if it was gonna make it home or not. When we stopped I checked the oil and it was at a good level. So we kept on trucking after getting some food for our bellies.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive design

Just two wild and crazy guys. Lol All in all it was a good trip, I took into account Murphy’s law before we left. Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong , and tried to plan accordingly. I took plenty of tools and ten gallons of ethanol free gas. Just in case the gas hand didn’t work. But, it does. And it seems to be fairly accurate. I used an entire tank of gas coming back and my wife’s Prius had two bars missing from her fuel gauge. Next year we are gonna upgrade the shocks and just take three dirt bikes. What a crazy weekend , full of memories. My favorite, hearing my kid say “ Hey Dad, I love your el Camino” I replied me too pal. What a great weekend.

·
Registered
87 elcamino v6 4.3 t.b.i.
279 Posts
Yes ,change rear shocks. Shouldnt ride that low with so little weight. Cheapnn easy. I used rock auto selv leveling shocks(not air adjusters) they're normal shocks with a spring around outside. Cheap ,easy,soft ride, and loads good amount weight evenly. Hint: you save money ordering multiple parts at once to save on shipping. And always look up a 5% coupon code. Thank you for sharing the pics/exp. Car is coming along nicely. I seen you are round atl area...what do you mean ethanol free gas? I k ow the pro/cons of ethanol, but was unaware could get 100% ethanol free. What brand gas/station? Thanks.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Yes ,change rear shocks. Shouldnt ride that low with so little weight. Cheapnn easy. I used rock auto selv leveling shocks(not air adjusters) they're normal shocks with a spring around outside. Cheap ,easy,soft ride, and loads good amount weight evenly. Hint: you save money ordering multiple parts at once to save on shipping. And always look up a 5% coupon code. Thank you for sharing the pics/exp. Car is coming along nicely. I seen you are round atl area...what do you mean ethanol free gas? I k ow the pro/cons of ethanol, but was unaware could get 100% ethanol free. What brand gas/station? Thanks.
Correction: I see your in atl area

·
Registered
279 Posts
Correction: I see your in atl area
Disregard prior gas quest. Found site that lists ethanol free stations by state . I have one (Sunoco) very close. EXPENSIVE for 100% free ethanol. 10$ a gln Although it is higher octane. Cheaper to go with 93 or 94 at Sunoco. But still doesent mean ethanol free. Has to specify that. Sunoco carries 100% octane ethanol [email protected]$a gallon. Yikes! Only pay that if racing, or small 2 stroke. Rather go with reg 93 octane. Quest: why were you carrying ethanol free? Advantage to you?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
We were just passing through Birmingham and had to get on 20 towards Atlanta, we live in the country in Mississippi and most of the gas stations here offer ethanol free gas for a premium. It usually costs more than premium and around here it’s just 87 octane . Every now and then you can find 91 ethanol free, but buccee’s surprised me they had 97 ethanol free. Good stuff. I wish I had some empty gas cans with me.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
Disregard prior gas quest. Found site that lists ethanol free stations by state . I have one (Sunoco) very close. EXPENSIVE for 100% free ethanol. 10$ a gln Although it is higher octane. Cheaper to go with 93 or 94 at Sunoco. But still doesent mean ethanol free. Has to specify that. Sunoco carries 100% octane ethanol [email protected]$a gallon. Yikes! Only pay that if racing, or small 2 stroke. Rather go with reg 93 octane. Quest: why were you carrying ethanol free? Advantage to you?
I carried it with me in case we couldn’t find gas stations along the way that offered it. I always use it with my two stroke engines and my dirt bikes and I never have any problems out of them gumming up or stopping up the jets in the carb. I carried one of my dirt bikes with me so that was part of the reason the other is I was unsure if the gas gauge was working. Anytime I put gas in my cans I always get ethanol free because it’s usually coming out of the can and going into my small engines.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
Also where do you live that it’s $10 a gallon? That is very expensive. It usually runs about three and a half dollars a gallon around here.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Also where do you live that it’s $10 a gallon? That is very expensive. It usually runs about three and a half dollars a gallon around here.
Oh ,for the small engines that makes sense. Makes huge diff with 2 stroke or small 4 stroke. I in N.J. the 10$ per gallon is for 100 % octane ethanol free. Crazy,right? N.J. has law that all 89 octane or lower is 10%ethanol. Labeling is very deceptive here in n.j. you have to research,ask verbally,double check,and its still not a guarantee. But that's everything in New Jersey. This State rapes you coming and going. For example even though the gas is not labeled at most places it still has 10% ethanol in it and when you test it with a common test kit from Amazon oh, it's usually around 15 to 20% ethanol. Again, very deceptive. Not to mention illegal. The only place is here in New Jersey that you can get ethanol free gas is at gas stations that choose to sell it as a specialty or premium type of gas. Other than that, only airfields and marinas sell true ethanol gas, and even then, most have some percentage of ethanol, sometimes not even then owner or manager is aware. Found site googling called pure gas .org. Ceck it out.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
Well, I will throw up a picture later. But I need a little help getting this stock teach working. I don’t think the wire with the connector is the right one. It’s green and when you plug it into the tach port on the distributor the car just dies. Unsure of which one to hook up any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
848 Posts
My tach wire is white inside and brown outside with the suppressor. Green is water temp and high idle solenoid.
Tom

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
So next order of business , I got a taillight and turn signal out on the passenger side only. The horn worked for about a week. But when it went out so did the turn signal on that side. I replaced the switch in the column hoping that would fix it and it didn’t. Any other ideas on what it could be ?

81 - 93 of 93 Posts