El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess it was bound to happen! I bought another El Camino today. It's a 198? Conquista, not too sure of year, forgot to ask, but has the four headlights and side marker front fenders. Pretty rough on the outside, and will probably just be a parts car for my 79. I only had a few minutes to look at it, but saw enough value to make a deal on the spot. The best part is it's only 7 doors down from me!

Apparently needs a timing chain and was been off the road since 2005. Didn't even look under the hood, so I don't know what engine yet. By the looks of it, when it was on the road, It got hit a lot. Both doors have dents, and drivers side skin is loose whole bottom half, driver front fender has a small ding, rear quarters have same dings. Other various scrapes and dents on hood, cab, trim.

The good.... Has a near perfect tailgate, all glass is good, nice dash with newer style gauge cluster, buckets and console with floor shift, interior trim dark red and not faded to pink like my 79. A canopy, which I will probably sell because I don't like them. Nice tires on stock wheels with good chrome and caps. Near perfect rear and front bumpers. Power window and lock door panels in good shape.

There is probably more but I only had a glance, and will know more what I got once I pick it up this weekend. Just happens to be a good match for my 79 if I go parts car with it. There is the small desire to possibly just fix this one up too.

Somebody has to stop me! This is vehicle #6 since New Years! Or 6.5 if you count all the parts I got from Chris(Leogexx) a couple weeks ago.

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
Tim, do you live in a big carriage house? I know it's easy to keep bringing home vehicles. I was that way with bikes for decades. I even kept a few of my choice bikes in my dining room for years. It was nice having them where I could enjoy eyeballing them while hanging out at home. At the time I was a bachelor, so there was no wife to complain.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Are you tryiing to compete with DDD on his cars.LOL :poke:What did you have to give for it?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tim, do you live in a big carriage house? I know it's easy to keep bringing home vehicles. I was that way with bikes for decades. I even kept a few of my choice bikes in my dining room for years. It was nice having them where I could enjoy eyeballing them while hanging out at home.
I live in a very small mobile home, so no room inside for any cars! 8) but I am on half an acre, so plenty of room to indulge my mid-life crisis! Or maybe I just wanna save some of these poor beasts from the scrapper and being shipped off to china only to come back as sub-standard El Camino parts! :dontknow:

At the time I was a bachelor, so there was no wife to complain.
That statement probably has the most validity and truth! :let_it_all_out: So far the neighbors haven't complained (that I've heard of) or turned me in to the regional district yet :secret:

Are you tryiing to compete with DDD on his cars.LOL :poke:
Not trying to compete with anyone! but doesn't the old saying "he who dies with the most cars/toys wins" still hold true? :beer:

What did you have to give for it?
$400 more than I have right now! :???: I'm broke until payday this weekend! Will cough up the cash and bring it home sunday. :nanawrench:

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
When you say canopy.. do you mean topper? How about some pics

·
Premium Member
852 Posts
As far as bringing too many cars home....it was a mild winter here in New England....I burn wood for heat....didn't go thru nearly as much wood as last year....so when my other half started wandering around our massive wood pile, which is all covered, she peeked around back to see what looked like a car under cover and found another El Camino! It is one of my parts cars. Couldn't break the news that I acquired another vehicle, so I buried it there until I could figure out how to tell her.
Its easier to ask for forgiveness than it is permission!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When you say canopy.. do you mean topper? How about some pics
Yes Mike, I guess I meant topper, always called them a canopy here when on a regular 1/2t pick-up truck. I will shoot some pics tomorrow or sunday, but the car is really a mess. The best thing on it is probably the topper really. Are they worth much? I will be selling it anyways.

As far as bringing too many cars home....it was a mild winter here in New England....I burn wood for heat....didn't go thru nearly as much wood as last year....so when my other half started wandering around our massive wood pile, which is all covered, she peeked around back to see what looked like a car under cover and found another El Camino! It is one of my parts cars. Couldn't break the news that I acquired another vehicle, so I buried it there until I could figure out how to tell her.
Its easier to ask for forgiveness than it is permission!
So true Jim! You're busted! :poke: I have nobody to hide them from or even ask forgiveness. Well, maybe the neighbors! I do truly apologize to them for my mess. It wasn't always that way, I had a bunch of trees at the front blocking view from the street, but the elec co took them down last fall rather than just topping them as they do every couple years to keep them out of the wires above. Now everybody sees my mess until I get a fence put up.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know now a little bit more about the new to me El Camino I bought recently. Haven'T brought it home yet, but got the paperwork for it. Still no pictures of it yet, but will snap some as soon as I drag her the 1 block down the road to my place next week.

It is a 1984 Conquista built in Arlington, and has a 305 in it. RPO codes are as follows;

ARL AR9 AU3 A01 A31 BX8 B3W B32 B9K CD4 C60 D1A D35 D55 D91 E5Z E6E E9Z GU1 JM5 K19 K64 LG4 MX1 M31 NB1 NB2 N23 N33 QFT TR9 TT5 T63 UA1 UN3 UN9 UP8 U14 U26 U73 VJ9 VK3 V73 YA7 YF5 YH6 YT9 ZJ7 1AZ 6DX 7DX 73L 73U 77B 771 779 78M 8PZ 9PZ

DIS.LACQUER WA- L8491 U8491 M8486

Still need to get a good thorough looking over of this truck when I get it home to decide what to do with it. Parts for my 79 and other members here? ....or rebuild it if there is enough to start with? Of course that would mean finding another parts truck. :dontknow: My neighbors must hate me! This one is vehicle #6 for 2012. Yard is filling up!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, I got it towed into my driveway tuesday night. Much of the exterior sheet metal is rusted at the bottom. It sat in the PO's yard for the last 6 or 7 years on bare ground with grass and weeds growing up under and around it. Cant get the hood open yet, seems the cable it broke somewhere.

I did snap a couple pics, mostly for the Snugtop which I will be listing and selling as soon as I get it off and cleaned up. It looks to be in excellent shape. Windows slide good, door is good, but have no keys to lock it. Struts are shot and don't hold up the door anymore. Seals look good at body, but will know better when it's off. So what's it worth? I hear they are not easy to find, but not sure. I did a CL search and didnt find one listed anywhere in Canada.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
I found one of those in New Mexico that was is as new shape.
I need to make a point to go get it. I just bought 464Elky's Crafttec lid and that will do for a while. Those toppers in good shae go for $150-$250 here in Texas. Good luck with the sale.

·
Premium Member
852 Posts
too bad your not here in CT.CraigsList has had some for $50.00, and a few for free!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts