El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Select money quotes from the article.

“I don’t see support for raising the gas tax and there is absolutely no way we’re going to cut spending, so it’s going to have to be a creative way to fund this in reality,” Boxer said. (Emphasis added)

Boxer says she's supportive of new taxes for additional funding.

“Either we’re going to replace the gas tax with another way of funding which I love, which is the fee at the refinery level, I think I may be the only one that likes that idea, so I haven’t seen a groundswell of support for that idea.”

“Also a way to figure out vehicle miles travelled, without an intrusive black box, which you could do. But I don’t see it,” Boxer said.

As I recall, didn't the feds allocate $800 billion to "shovel ready" projects a few years ago? Where did all that money go?

Read the entire article here.

Copper

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
"Shovel Ready" was the key here...

If you know how government works, the project is proposed, after several years of design and approvals the budget and bonds are allocated and the project is then considered"Shovel Ready" and funded.

When the Feds gave $800 Billion to state & local governments to pay for those "Shovel Ready" projects the money was already there....Sooooo, they just moved it to another pocket and spent the Federal money on a project that was going to happen anyway!

Alas, We got Nothing New!!

It was just a way to prop-up the state & local governments for another year without the political fallout....

"Shovel-Ready" was already going to happen...Thanx for Nothing Obama & Congress!

·
Registered
993 Posts
By reducing our armed forces to pre WWII levels they'll save a bunch. We'll rely on diplomacy to settle conflict from now on. Is there a russian word for diplomacy? Does it translate into arabic? I know words like death and destruction, and havoc do, but without means to demonstrate them they're neaningless. Maybe we should all start learning russian.
Patrick

1 - 3 of 3 Posts