El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will boxing the stock rear arms help me or be a waste of time I'm ready to blow the engine and wanna stiffen up the suspension. I have a welder and steel and got laid off in Jan so plenty of time but no money. But I don't wanna waste my time. I was also thinking of doing the front a arms but will I noti e it. Also plan on doing poly bushings. Thanks for any input

·
Deputy Director Region 6
9,314 Posts
Yes ! boxing the rear trailing arms will help !! They won't flex !

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
boxing the rear arms and polly bushings are a good deal ,boxing the fronts is a waste of time unless you are jumping the car or hopping it with hydrolics

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Boxing the rear arms will help, not really a big fan of poly bushing in the back thou, too much binding which will lead to wheel hop

·
Premium Member
12,122 Posts
There's some info on beefing up the frame on 5th gen Elcos, where the rear control arms are attached, using 2-inch square tubing etc. I'll take a look for that article, and If I can find it, I'll post it.
If running big power & torque, even adding some gussets in the corners where the cross frames meet the main frame, is simple and helps stiffen things up. A beefier cross member at the rear of the frame, just ahead of the bumper, also helps.
Boxing the control arms is always a good idea, and fairly easy if you have some plate stock and arc welding equipment.

I forgot to mention, that I used 1/4" plate for gussets, on the lower control arm brackets on my 4th gen project. Those brackets on most frames don't look very substantial, if some high-torque is put on them.

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
It will certainly stabilize your ride, especially when you are hitting it hard.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I found bmr upper and lower with poly bushings for 185 is that good or should I just weld it with plate. I have the plate and a welded so will it be the same? Or should I buy the bmr. Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Does anyone have a stock rear passenger side control arm they want to get rid of that they would sell me? Mine is bent and I need to replace it. Thank you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts