El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The brake booster hose has been blowing off from two different places over the last few days. When it happens I of course loose brakes!

I have had my 81 El Camino for 30 years and this has never happened before...

Today I installed three clamps to hold the hoses on. What could cause this ?????

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Thats a new one !

This is a new one for me,when the engine is running there should be vac. at the part that pushes into the vac. booster, the black fuel filter looking thing is a check valve,after you shut down engine,pull the fitting out of the brake booster,there should still be vac., if not that check valve is bad,very rare for that to be bad ,a slight back fire with a bad check valve will blow off the hose,or your brake booster bellows has a leak. now you have something to start with Good luck !
:texas::beer:

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Does it happen when you apply brakes or at idle, cruise???? I would think if only when you apply the brakes then the check valve is at fault causeing pressure to force the line to pop off,, Matty man

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
if that is the correct hose and not fuel line it usually takes a lot to get them apart. either the hose is stretched or you are backfireing as stated above. i have seen them backfire so bad it blows the little cap out of the check valve but never blow the hose off.try replaceing the hose, napa sells good hose for that. i am asumeing its not backfireing as you didnt mention that it was. the factory used clamps on some. so clamps wont hurt but may be a crutch hideing a bigger issue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts