El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Past Texas Director
6,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am ready to start pulling my hair out over this!
Apparently finding a brake booster for my 78 Elky is proving to be Mission Impossible!
I ordered one from, O'Reilly's who assured me they could get it, but it would take a few days to get it to their store, THEN they tell me "oops! we can't get it."
I then go to Advance Auto, and am told they have it in stock, and the total cost is $19.99! "Wait! Young boy, did you look up the correct part? I need a power brake booster." He tells me yes indeed he has it, and it's $19.99! I then being the smart azz I can be when I get frustrated, tell him "okay, give me two of them." at this same time, the man standing in line behind me, adds his 2c, and says to the kid behind the counter that he too, will take TWO of those $19.99 brake boosters! Long story short...of course they don't have the brake BOOSTER that I need, and he was giving me the price of a master cylinder. We finally get that straightened around, and he then tells me they don't have and can't order part #50-1170 because they're a discontinued item. Okay, I'm outta there at this point, and vow to never go there again thanks to the lack of knowledge behind the counter.
I then went to, Pep Boys, called Napa, and even went to Pick n Pull and cannot find the brake booster I need!
Next plan of action, go online and order one! Problem solved! I find the part number and it is available online from Auto Zone for $138. so I order it, and am told it will ship to my home address within 3 business days. Today, on day 5 I receive an email from Auto Zone telling me they cannot get the part, and they will refund my $ to my bank account in approximately 10 business days! So, now I can't order another one until my $ is credited back to my account, and here I sit still BRAKELESS in Waco! If anyone can find this hot commodity, or can point me in the right direction as to where I can get my hands on this RAREST OF RARE part, please let me know!
I'm wondering if I have to use only that specific brake booster, or will another size work? Any suggestions at this point will be appreciated, before I go out and cut the floor out of my car and use the old Fred Flintstone braking system with my feet! LOL
:dontknow:

·
Banned
5,787 Posts
bad booster

terry try and get one from a 80 and up they should interchange, if not there is a 78 buick lesabre(gbody style ) at pick n pull booster and master cylinder look fine
let me know if i can help in any way :texas::beer::You_Rock:

·
Banned
5,787 Posts
new part #

you need this one terry 50-1272
that will be 20 bucks plz cheers

·
Past Texas Director
6,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
you need this one terry 50-1272
that will be 20 bucks plz cheers
Woody, that one is the smaller diameter thicker one. Mine's the 11" one that is thinner from front to back. Can I use a different sized one than what I have on it now?

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
take the one off of your son's elkie and tell him that thieves musta got him!

:nanawrench:

·
Banned
5,787 Posts
Woody, that one is the smaller diameter thicker one. Mine's the 11" one that is thinner from front to back. Can I use a different sized one than what I have on it now?
yes you can the one you have is a older single diaphram style, should swap over with no issues, if not i got a tow strap:poke:lol really though this should take care of your braking issues if not holler i will dig further for you:texas:

·
Past Texas Director
6,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
take the one off of your son's elkie and tell him that thieves musta got him!

:nanawrench:
That is actually what Jim suggested for me to do, but I really don't want to have to re-do all of this in a few weeks again. I'm just fed up!

·
Past Texas Director
6,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yes you can the one you have is a older single diaphram style, should swap over with no issues, if not i got a tow strap:poke:lol really though this should take care of your braking issues if not holler i will dig further for you:texas:
Cool! Thanks, Woody!:You_Rock:

·
Past Texas Director
6,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rock Auto claims to have one
They have it, but when I get to the "check out" they inform me that "item is currently out of stock". Same as everywhere else! :let_it_all_out:
Thanks for looking, though! :beer:

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Terry, the overall size isn't what matters, it's whether it will mate up with your cylinder. A single, 11" diaphram will not give the same stopping power as an 8" dual diaphram booster. There's a plus to an 8" also (if it will fit the cylinder), more room to work in. But then, maybe ya knows all dis already!!!!:poke:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts