El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
Just had a 350 with a mild cam installed in my 84 ELKY. Wow what a difference in power! However, with the new cam, I don't have enough brake vacuum at idle. I have to pump the brakes alot. What can I do to remedy this problem?
RTT

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
a couple options,an extra vacuum res. a vacuum pump or the hydroboost unit. the extra res needs its own check valve between it and the engine. i have had dismal results with the vacuum pumps. the hydroboost works great,it runs off of the ps pump

·
Registered
38 Posts
Have you tried draining the fluid and refilling it?

Sent from my PH44100 using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, a hard brake pedal is what I have a low RPM. Brakes work fine otherwise. I have learned quickly how to compensate for it but my wife would never want to drive the car as it is now. Would adding an additional booster be the cheapest remedy? Hydro systems are about $600. RTT

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have found a hydroboost system off a 1988 GM one ton truck for sale cheap on Craigslist. Will that work on a 1984 ELKY?
RTT

·
Registered
589 Posts
Seems the main problem with installing hydroboost is if the unit leaks. My understanding is half the reman stuff is junk so be prepared to try a couple if they leak and if this 88 unit needs additional hoses, it can get quite costly. Another possible downside is adding more lines to an already crowded engine compartment. I'd try out that extra vacuum canister before getting involved in the changeover. JMO

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yes, a hard brake pedal is what I have a low RPM. Brakes work fine otherwise. I have learned quickly how to compensate for it but my wife would never want to drive the car as it is now. Would adding an additional booster be the cheapest remedy? Hydro systems are about $600. RTT
I have around $200 in my setup. I sourced it from rockauto.com by ordering the booster and lines for an 84 turbo regal and a master cylinder for a Cadillac.

It works great and was a bolt on for my car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the same issue with my '70 SS 454 w/LS6 BB. Anything under 1000 RPM and I don't have enough vacuum to drive the power brake booster. Mine has A/C (it was an original LS5 EC) so it is supposed to idle at 1000 anyway so normally don't have too much problem. I have always considered putting an auxillary vacuum can under the driver's front fender where there is room but have never gotten around to it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts