El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I had kids 64 issues worked out, but now the driver's side brake light does not work when the headlights are on. It works fine w/o head lights on. I am assuming this may be a ground issue. Which wire in the back of the socket is ground? Can I add another ground right to that wire? I hate electricity. Anyway, the bulb was replaced to no avail, please help, and thank you.:dontknow:

·
Premium Member
844 Posts
make an aux jumper ground and hook it up for test....if it works (I think it will), you can repair the ground from there. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
5,787 Posts
The bulb socket is ground. Clean the inside of the socket might help.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK guys, did as suggested, cleaned inside of socket with sandpaper, no help. I rigged up a ground from the back of the socket to the bed, just inside the access panel on driver's side and it works. But I would like to fix the problem and don't know how. I must be missing something as far as the completed circuit. Looking at wire diagrams, it seems both the wires that go to the bulb are +, and the socket would be the -/ground. But where does the - go from there? Doesn't it need to make it's way back to the battery some how? I'm just confused on why the lights work, the brake lights work, but they don't work together, until I okie rigged a "jumper" ground. Confused. How would I go about finding the weak ground and fixing it correctly? Any help is appreciated, and I thank you for getting it back on the road!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts