El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a problem with my 1987 elky. The brake light on the dash will not go out. I bleed the brakes several times 32 oz fluid. still a light found the left rear wheel cylinder leaking replaced it bleed that side and still have a brake light on. I read one of the post and followed the process: I pumped the brake with eng off, started car and (The read the pedal should drop slightly away.) the pedal went to floor what does the indicate?

Thanks

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
You can't just bleed one wheel cylinder or caliper.
Bleed from the right rear, then left rear, then right front and left front. You may have to do it a few times. Technically the front half of the master should not be affected by changing out a rear wheel cylinder but since you're bleeding do all 4 wheels to rule anything out.
If after all this and the pedal feels good but the light is still on, check the parking brake pedal. It needs to be fully released in the up position to turn the light off. Try lifting it by hand and see if the light goes out. Sometimes the spring gets weak with age. BUT even if you find this to be the problem BEFORE you bleed the brakes, BLEED them anyway! At least both rears.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I originally bleed all four but i figured once i changed the one wheel cylinder i could just bleed that one i was careful to let air in but how no's i will bleed again. After i check the proportioning valve.

Thanks for the help

1 - 4 of 4 Posts