El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after cleaning up the rear wiring a bit I've found an odd issue. I've cleaned and checked the body harness, grounds test good, positive 12v feed for the socket tests good. Socket and bulb hooked up to a 12v battery directly tests good. The issue occurs when I hook the 12v feed to the socket. Detatched or without a bulb in the socket I get a solid 12v reading on a volt meter. With the hazards or turn signal on I get a 12v pulse. With the bulb in socket voltage drops to .2 or 0. I've gone over everything I can think of and haven't found anything causing the drop. Anyone run across this issue before or have any idea what it could be?

Thanks!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bulbs test fine direct to a secondary 12v source. Only loses 12v from the green lead coming from the chassis plug. Looks like the brake light, ground, and turn signal feed were all jumped from the driver's side to the passenger side. Think I'm going to have to pull all the loom apart and rewire from there. The strange part is it worked for a few minutes yesterday. Pulled the truck out of the garage to turn it around and look at the front and it stopped working while I was turning it around.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cleaned and reattached, then to absolutely eliminate the grounds a ran a jumper wire from the negative battery terminal to the new, tested working socket, still no juice. I'm hesitant to cut the front side of the chassis harness but it may be the next step in trying to track down where the problem is. Thanks for the ideas so far, keep em coming and if I figure it out I'll post and let everyone know!

·
Registered
12,533 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Harness

Bulbs test fine direct to a secondary 12v source. Only loses 12v from the green lead coming from the chassis plug. Looks like the brake light, ground, and turn signal feed were all jumped from the driver's side to the passenger side. Think I'm going to have to pull all the loom apart and rewire from there. The strange part is it worked for a few minutes yesterday. Pulled the truck out of the garage to turn it around and look at the front and it stopped working while I was turning it around.
I have a Good rear harness runs from the smugglers box on drivers side to the rear bumper area ,send me a PM if you want it !! :texas:

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
check where the chassis harness plugs into the fuse box for bad connections and for power out

·
Super Moderator
4,363 Posts
High resistance circuit, check all of your connections.

·
Deputy Director Region 18 Participating Member
6,292 Posts
..can't you get to the harness through a access panel inside the bed,or out side rear marker light ..??I know on some models,that you can access the rear harness through the left rear side marker light,but ,thats on a 4th Gen. I don't know if it might have the same access on a 5th gen..:dontknow:
:beer:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
check where the chassis harness plugs into the fuse box for bad connections and for power out
Beer or other preferred beverage for you sir!

Stripped all the extra junk out of the tail light harness that a PO had put in it and set the factory wiring back up. Checked the plug going into the fuse block and cleaned and reseated the plug, voila, working blinkers!

Thanks for the advice all, glad to have a legal running light system.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts