El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kool177's turn signal problem just reminded me of one I have on my 86 Silverado. The turn signal works fine, but when it's real cold outside, the left rear brake light won't work. Since the filament for the turn signal and the brake light are one and the same, I assume that the problem is in the brake wiring. I pulled the connector off the back of the housing, thought I found a loose wire going into it, pushed it in to make better contact, but the problem still persists sporatically. Could the brake wire be broken somewhere, and because cold contracts it, it looses conductivity? If so, how could I locate the break?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Could be the crimp joint on the socket acting up. Next time it happens see if you can probe into the wire at the crimp joint. If you can leave the socket attached to the bulb. It's best if the wire has a load on it.
A sharped piece of coat hanger about 6 inches long makes a good test probe. With a meter or test lamp probe that wire. Other end of the meter to a good ground. Have someone step on the brakes and see if there is 12 volts on the wire. If there is and the brake light isn't coming on, good chance at a weak crimp joint. Don't try and fix the socket. Get another one, solder and sleeve the wires.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks John! I'll try that. Bet that is what it is. One of the wires was sort of loose. I appreciate the help! Terry

1 - 3 of 3 Posts