El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an electrical question with brake lights I'm trying to hook up. I have a 71 and the extra bumper reflector housings I have I turned into so called brake lights.i have a one wire pigtail socket in them for an 1156 bulb and was wondering if it's possible to turn these into extra brake lights. If so how do I wire them up.do I tap into the brake light wiring or into the brake light switch itself?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So tap right into the brake light wiring and not the switch...I don't need turn signals there if that matters ..not aure

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Next issue is do I need to ground it or would it be self grounded because of it being bolted to the bumper

·
Premium Member
5,711 Posts
It should ground into the bumper.
If you only want them to work like a third brake light you will need to run a wire from the white wire on the brake light switch or they will also flash if tied to the yellow and green at the rear.

·
Premium Member
5,711 Posts
The white wire at the B L switch only runs over to the turn signal connector on the column.
I don't really understand your question. The white wire is the output side of the switch. the orange wire is the power feed.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My question was do I tap into the wire going to the switch on the pigtail or the wire coming off the switch itself

·
Premium Member
5,711 Posts
Connect to the WHITE wire. It is the output from the switch.

Brake light switch connector has 1 orange wire, 1 white wire. Any others would be for cruise.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts