El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad just passed away and I was given his 85 El Camino. First week driving it a little and the brakes went out completely. Back side (smaller compartment) of reservoir was empty. Once refilled, even while sitting with engine off there is a constant drip off of the frame along side the left front wheel. But when the brake pedal is depressed there is a very major leak that sprays UP from one of the metal lines that connects at the master cylinder reservoir and hits the exhaust (thus causing lots of smoke). It appears to be at the point that the line bends and goes toward the rear of the vehicle. I cannot really determine which line it is or how far back the line actually goes. How difficult of a repair is this? Naturally, it's stranded in a parking lot no where close to getting it home. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
You can patch it but you're going to have find the one thats leaking so you know what size of brass union you need then you need a double flaring tool.Cut the bad part of the line out slip the compression nut on the line flare the line,each side of the splice ,screw the lines to the center brass, add fluid to the system and bleed.

·
Premium Member
12,123 Posts
If it were me, I would buy a new line for it, from Inline Tube, and save the hassle of trying to fix it with a new section. You can find Inline Tube's site online and order the line (or lines) you need. The online catalog only shows sets of lines, so a phone call to them will get an individual line for you.

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
Get the whole set! Fix the one that's leaking and get it home, then replace all the other lines before they blow out at the rate of one every 3-4 days. Don't forget all 3 flex lines! Ask me how I know! :banghead:

:poke:

·
Premium Member
12,123 Posts
Good point. Rust doesn't pick and choose, it gets to everything. Replacing all the lines is not an easy job, but it's insurance in a way, and worth the effort. And they are available in stainless steel for a few bucks more, for a permanent life-time fix. If I use regular steel lines, like on my pickup, I paint them a couple of coats, one before installation, and one after they are in.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
The problem with stock brakelines is that they are copper lined and once the fluid wears through the lining the moisture that is attracted to the brake fluid rusts the lines from the inside out unless you flush the system with new fluid every so often.
There are test kits for testing the fluid for copper contamination,I believe it's a lithmus type of test.
Earlier when I outline a repair that was to just get the Elky home,I didn't mean as a permanent fix as I'm pretty sure there is some more problems elsewhere particularly
rust related and I agree that all the lines should be replaced.

·
Registered
114 Posts
They also make a brake line with a coating on the outside to help prevent rusting. I recently did the rear brake lines on my 71 The only problem I had with them was when I was bending the lines, some of the coating would come off.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.