El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to be replacing my brake lines on my 79. I am wanting to get the expensive line that comes in a 25ft roll. My question is since this line cost twice as much and can only get it in 25ft locally. Can I run just one size line front and rear instead of buying two different size lines? If so should I go with the bigger size? Thanks

·
Registered
108 Posts
Not sure if this helps but I Replaced all my Back Brake lines got the Pre bent ready to Mount from inlinetube.com was very reasonable and fit perfect.

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
I went with pre-bent stainless steel lines and had a tough time getting them to seal. Stainless is some hard material and I had to loosen and tighten . . . loosen and tighten . . . many times to get them to stop leaking. But I eventually had to give up on one of these leaky joints and replace a stainless steel line with a mild steel line which stopped the leak.

Pre-bent is the way to go and if I had it to do over again, it would be all mild steel lines. And since every piece of brake hardware was new for me - all lines, calipers, master cylinder and rear wheel cylinders - I went with silicone brake fluid.

Rick

·
Registered
77 Posts
inline tube is the way to go. unless your in a rush & need a quick repair of course. I have seen a few really nice sets from them in SS or reg steel & all them were perfect.

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
Replacing Brake Lines

Inline Tube, Right Stuff, they are all comparable and deliver a good product. Rick is right, avoid stainless steel as they are very difficult to work with. Honestly, I would go with pre-bent as well. I did the entire car about 3 years ago when I converted to disc brakes up front and trying to duplicate all of the bends and twists is very difficult and not worth the trouble when you can have someone else do it for you. Besides, you'll have your hands full without having to worry about bending lines.

Good luck with your project.

Bruce

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I went with the nicopp line which was about half what it would cost. I'll have to bend the lines but I'm fine with that.

Can someone tell me what proportioning valve I need to get?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
Don't forget to add the spiral wire rock protection along the exposed lengths of tubing if you are making your own lines. And I'd stick with whatever your stock diameter of tubing was.

For your proportioning valve, I'd buy another stock valve for your 1979 model vehicle. Any competent auto parts store or the usual El Camino catalog sources can provide one.

Rick

1 - 9 of 9 Posts