El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having trouble finding finding brake parts for my 1968 El Camino with disc front/ drum rear. I need everything for a total restoration like master cylinder, power brake booster, brake hoses, front calipers, rear brake cylinders. I find listings online but I can't order anything because it's not in stock. I haven't tried the local Chevrolet parts stealers yet. I used to have a friend that worked at the local Chevrolat parts but he retired. Thanks for any sugestions.

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,957 Posts
Try rockauto.com !! They have alot of parts !! Great parts @ great prices !!
Here is a code for a 5% discount if you want to use it, Just enter it in How did you hear about us !!

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I'll check out rockauto.com I found this website when I was searching for parts and I'm glad I found it. There seems to be some really knowlegeable here. So far I've bought a set of Eagle rods and Wiseco pistons. I can't find anybody so far thet even lists front calipers. I found a company that sells rebuilt Corvette calipers. I'm going to give them a call next week to see if they'll rebuild mine since they're basically the same except.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
70-72 Chevelles and El Caminos had disk brake option, that would interchange on to your 68, that may be what the PO used.
Can you post up a picture to see what you are dealing with? Rebuilding calipers is very easy as long as they are not rusted up inside, I used to do it but it ended up being cheaper to get remaned calipers.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I'll see if i can find any calipers for a 70-72. My calipers are rusted up inside. The company that rebuilds Corvette calipers bores out the calipers and insert stainless steel sleeves.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
I didnt check on the hoses but Nat. Parts Depot has everything else in stock.

Very good company to deal with.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I found some calipers for a 70-72 that have one piston. My calipers have 4 pistons and they're the original equipment. I really don't care how many pistons the calipers have as long as they fit. If I remember correctly I used Corvette pads when I repaced the original pads in 1972.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
try the same year camaro. it may be a corvette calliper and if so nothing else will fit the brackets. post some pics of the calipers

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
NPD has rebuild kits for the 4 piston calipers.

No, I dont work for NPD. Just like their service, prices and fast shipping.:beer:

·
Registered
21 Posts
My dad had a 68 SS 4spd with the 4 puck brakes. I fondly remember the brakes failing and hiting a 2yr old Riviera. At the time NAPA stocked all of the parts to repair the brakes ab nd luckily dad had a spare SS hood. He wouldnt talk to me for 3 days until he found a donor Camino for front end parts.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts