El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed p/b booster on 66, original style, chrome reproduction. The threaded rod that attaches to the brake pedal is either too short or the fitting it too short for the pedal to travel all the way back to the bumper. I adjusted the switch all the way towards firewall, but it is still a little short. Brakes lights do not always go "off" when releasing pedal. First, I have no return spring, and not even sure where it should be mounted. Before the booster install, it worked fine w/o a return spring. So, my ?'s are
1. Can I get a longer (1 to 1.5 in) rod that comes out of booster? Not excited about taking booster off and taking it apart.
2. Are there other fittings that I can put on rod, with out fabricating one. I'm not a fabricator, but may have to try. Also, fitting is all the way to end of rod.

I have tried contacting ebay seller of booster several time;;;;;;no reponse

Some other info, this was originally an automatic, previous owner converted to 4sp from chevelle SS, 1966, from what he told me. Not sure if this makes a difference. My son's 64 had an aftermarket booster installed(automatic), and it fits and works great, almost too touchy.

Any help, suggestions, stores to look, etc etc......all help is greatly appreciated!!
On a side note, it looks good! Old m/c looks like crap, but booster is nice!

·
Venerated Member RIP
2,918 Posts
I have an new O'Reillys booster in my 66, no return spring and had no issues with adjustment. It wasn't too expensive as I recall. Hope you can reach ebay seller and verify application.... or hope it was cheap and use it as a core - :dontknow:

Wish I could be more positive.

fabrication? u sure don't want to take ANY chances with brakes.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After doing a little more research, it appears this is not uncommon. I found some extension kits on line, but not wanting to wait, i just welded 3 nuts together, and cut the head off a bolt for extension rod. Its not on yet, but im convenced it will work:beer:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts