El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The following lights are working: headlights (low & high), parking lights, directional lights.

Whats not working: brake and reverse lights and hazards / flashers and cab dome light.

I believe this means the wiring to all bulbs are good and that my issue is probably in a switch somewhere. Ive checked the brake light switch (down on the brake pedal) and Im getting voltage to the switch and when brake pedal is pushed Im getting voltage on the secondary side for the switch.

And advice on where I should start? Im guessing its gotta be down stream of the brake switch. Maybe the hazard switch on the steering column??

Thanks in Advance - Anthony

·
Premium Member
4,349 Posts
Andy
On the third gen El Camino there is a ribbon of wires that runs from the fuse block area under the carpet and the driver's seat.
This carries the power for the dome lights, rear lights and possibly the signals for the fuel tank.
The ribbon makes a connection near the floor on the driver's side B pillar.
The orange and white wires go up to the dome light.
The remaining wires route through the B pillar to the rear of the bed (drivers side underneath bed).
This ribbon harness can get damaged if it gets routed near the rear tires or if someone is in a rush to remove the rear bumper.
The image below shows it coming out on the floor behind driver and routing to the B pillar.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, thanks. Ill check that run of wires all the way back to the lights. But since the tail lights and rear directional lights work I was assuming that run of wires was good. If not wouldnt the tail lights and directional lights also not work?

I forgot to mention mine is a 1968 El Camino standard.

·
Premium Member
4,349 Posts
If your rear turn indicators are working, then at least part of the described wiring is intact.
This harness is a good place to start.
You may be able to unplug at the B pillar and check your reverse lights, hazards.
Be careful when you disconnect to not let the rear harness fall into the B pillar. Fishing for wires is not fun.
The reverse lights should go through reverse indicator switch. On column unless moved to floor shift.
It is also a good time to check your neutral/safety switch. Make sure engine does not try to start in forward or reverse gears.

Link to wiring diagrams on this site.

·
Registered
12,533 Posts
welcome AG
the brake lights and hazards are probly on the same fuse, that's all ways hot..
see if you have power on both sides of the fuse ??

but, as you said
they all have to go thru the Hazard Switch AND the Turn Signal switch too..
check for power in and out of the big column connector to the Turn Signal switch..
wiggle the Hazard and Turn switch while testing, see if anything changes..

and yes
if the rear turn signals work then the brake and rear hazard
wiring and lights should be good..
IF
and it never hurts to check the grounds at the tail lights,
IIRC the 68 grounds thru the tail light housing/screws and socket,
this is a problem sometimes that you don't have when the
socket ground has its own ground wire to the frame..
try a jumper wire ground from the metal socket to the frame..

I usually add the ground wire to the metal bulb sockets,
ether solder it on for a life-time fix, or
hose clamp the ground wire to the socket, temporary -fix..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok all that make sense. Thanks so much for the feedback.

Ill check the grounds at the bulbs, but since they are lighting with turn signals & when headlights are on the grounds should be good.

Im thinking the issue may be through the column wiring. Looking at the wiring diagram that old bear posted and in my Chilton repair manual, is this logic correct for the column wire ribbon?

White - stop light switch wire to column, should be energized when brake pedal pressed
Yellow & Green - wires to rear tail lights, should be energized when brake pedal pressed

The Purple goes to "directional flasher" and Brown goes to Hazard flasher - are those in the brake light circuit at all?

Is there a drawing that shows the switch arrangement and operation that is in the steering column - so actual directional and hazard switches and how they operate? Just wanna be sure Im checking voltage at the right places.

·
Registered
12,533 Posts
White - stop light switch wire to column, should be energized when brake pedal pressed
Yellow & Green - wires to rear tail lights, should be energized when brake pedal pressed

The Purple goes to "directional flasher" and Brown goes to Hazard flasher - are those in the brake light circuit at all?
yes everything,, rear brakes or stop lights, hazards, turn signals all use the same filament in the bulb..
everything goes thru the Green=right and Yellow=left wires..
not the tail lights tho..

this is a later model, but its the same general idea thru the TurnSignal / Hazard switches..
https://maliburacing.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/RearTurn-Hazard-StopLight-735x1024.jpg

·
Registered
12,533 Posts
I bring up the grounds because sometimes
everything goes weird when the Tail lights are turned on,
sometimes that's cause the Tail and Stop lights use the same bulb and ground
but its a different filament in the bulb..

when the Tail lights are off the rest of the light bulbs can find a
ground thru another bulb, another tail light or side marker light..

electricity will keep life interesting tho, without lots of good grounds..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok thanks a ton. Ill check grounds first today.

Ive seen that drawing before but Im a little confused by the multiple switches in the large blue box. Are those 4 switches all ganged together to operate at the same time? And they are all shown in the normal state as connected?

If yes to those, then the brake lights just pass through that switch / relay device...

·
Registered
12,533 Posts
yep all those switches are in the little box in the column..
it is basic-ly just swap-ing the power to the Green/Yellow..
the Flasher Units for the turn and hazard take care of the blinking..

yes the brake light power just passes thru when the turn and hazard is in off..

turn side just does left and right
hazard side ties everything together

good thing the TurnSignal switches are kinda cheap at 39$,
for 100$ worth of switches..
but it is a kind-of-a PITA to change out, running the wire down the column..

I was thinking the 68 may have 2 switches, turn or hazard but I;m not sure now..
at RA, if you search hazard switch, you get turn signal switch..
1968 CHEVROLET EL CAMINO 5.7L 350cid V8 Turn Signal Switch | RockAuto

Part image

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for that link and the info.

So I have good news and bad news - kind of.

I wired hot directly to the green & yellow wires and the brake lights came on great. So that means my wiring to the lights are good. I also jumped from the white (stop switch to column) to the yellow & green and when I pressed the brake pedal the brake lights worked with running lights off and on. So Ive narrowed it down to that steering column switch assembly. Are there any good instructions on how to disassemble that and install a new switch assembly?

Bad news is I decided to trouble shoot my interior cab light too and I read the schematic wrong and connected the positive to the white wire on the dome switch connector and it burned up the white wire completely. Ill need to re-wire it and I an just bypass the connector assembly temporarily, but does anyone know where I can get this type of connector or if I can get replace the terminals in the connector housing?

·
Registered
12,533 Posts
make sure the connection on the white wire to the column is good..
after your inside check the connection on the TS switch..

some hi-lites to replace the TS switch

get the horn cap off
front wheels strait wheel centered,,
check the marks are lined up on the shaft a wheel..
big nut on the wheel,, youll need a 2hole wheel puller
then probly a dust shield
turn signal cancel cam, mark or note the top on it..
1 screw in the TS Lever,, maybe 1 in the Hazard switch
2-3 in the TS switch,, then the wires..

I usually wrap the new wires with duct tape long-ways,
just a little extra insulation..

take the wires out of the old connector, or cut them..
and tie something on them to pull the new wires thru the column with..

then just re-do everything backwards...
heres a search, might be some good movies to watch..
1968 chevelle turn swicch repair - Bing video

·
Registered
129 Posts
You can get all of that wiring from ebay. Just takes some hunting down. I had to do similar since the prior owner had not changed the blower motor when it started binding, so burned out the connection, literally melted, the plug by the alternator since blower-high is straight bypass of the resistor. Hunted around eBay trying different combinations ow wording for a 4 port GM plug, and ended up with not only the male, but the matching female and all 8 terminals in factory gm style for $16.

You might want to try that, or maybe just need new terminals when you redo that housing for the white wire. Do them all. Then a simple butt-splice further down line on the white.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the help on this but I need more advice. I have managed to replace the turn stignal switch - man it was tough but the new one is in.

So prior to replacing all turn signals and headlights / tail lights worked. Brake lights & flashers were not working. After replacing the turn signal switch in the column now headlight / tail lights & brake lights work, but turn signals and flashers do not work. How in the world did turn signals stop working? Ill be following the schematic today to check voltage along the turn signal path, but any suggestions would be appreciated.

Also the screw provided with the new turn signal switch to secure the turn signal lever isnt quite long enough to fully tighten in the turn signal lever. I even had to cut out some of the plastic on the turn signal switch to fit the lever in fully but its still really tight. Are the newer levers more narrow and thinner??

·
Registered
12,533 Posts
got a test light ?? just have to trace it out
power in / power out..

3 different power source to the TS switch
turn flasher /fuse will be key-on only..
hazard flasher and brake light will be hot all the time
probly the same fuse..

could be the connections or pinout on the connector ??

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the reply.

I forgot to update this post, but I solved the issue. New turn signal switch fixed the brake lights and both the directional and hazard flashers were bad. Replaced those and now all lights & signals are working properly!

Now just to finish the horn operation. Replaced the horn relay and that seems to fix it when I ground the horn wire directly. Just gotta get the horn switch wire through the firewall fuse block as whoever worked on it previously pulled it out of the fuse block. I have new terminals coming tomorrow so hopefully that will fix that part!

Thanks again!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts