El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is a fair price for installation of disc brakes on front wheels of 1964 Elky? this will have to include a complete kit - master cylinder, discs, etc ---
1. Kit price
2. Labor - how long is reasonable to install?
thanks in advance

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
There are too many variables to come up with a price

Kit - rotor size/slotted drilled vs basic, 2 or 4 piston calipers vs single, pad upgrades, master cyl size, booster size, chrome vs plain, steel lines vs stainless, rubber hoses vs steel braided, dropped spindles vs stock height............ Depending on this and more price $500-$2000 for kit

Labor - depends on labor rate of shop and experience of technician. Lower shop rate is great but may take longer because of inexperience. Also may be lower quality work. With a really good tech 8-12 hours labor vs 20+ hours for a hack mechanic.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks very much for the info. It seems to be right in line with the shop. Randy (owner) thinks going disk now vice later is more cost effective because he thinks his labor rates will eat up the difference since he will have to re-build cylinders etc. Here is his website for grins - quite a nice little candy shop --
http://hotrodscustomstuff.com/

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Keep in mind this is a project you can do yourself.

If your lacking on skills, we can help you through it.

·
Venerated Member RIP
4,461 Posts
Keep in mind this is a project you can do yourself.

If your lacking on skills, we can help you through it.
X2
I went from manual drums to power disks and the kit I used came with very detailed instructions and for $5.00 more I got a DVD. Best $5.00 I've spent in a long time.
Only took me 8hrs. 4 one afternoon and 4 the next.
I used MBM and their basic kit for my 70 was around $600.00 but I upgraded with a 9" booster, braided S/S lines and drilled and slotted rotors. Still came in at under $750.00
Stops on a Dime and gives ya 8 cents change.:nanawrench:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great info --- thanks much !!! appreciate it -- and ya stopping on a dime would be nice - had been a while since I dorve a car w/o power discs brakes --- quite a difference going back to staright up drums !

·
Deputy Director Region 3 NJ Participating Member
2,090 Posts
X2
I went from manual drums to power disks and the kit I used came with very detailed instructions and for $5.00 more I got a DVD. Best $5.00 I've spent in a long time.
Only took me 8hrs. 4 one afternoon and 4 the next.
I used MBM and their basic kit for my 70 was around $600.00 but I upgraded with a 9" booster, braided S/S lines and drilled and slotted rotors. Still came in at under $750.00
Stops on a Dime and gives ya 8 cents change.:nanawrench:
If you really need some help, I showed my wife how I did the last conversion, she would gladly show you! :poke:

Just kiddin'......with the instructions, these are really easy. Hardest part is deciding on what kit you want.

·
Registered
1966 El Camino
2,041 Posts
Hot rods & customs is an awesome shop, a friend had a dash panel fabricated there for his big block bel air, but let me warn you they are top dollar. They do top dollar work so if you can afford it by all means. I agree with the others though this is a project thats quite doable at home. When i get around to this project , sometime next year in conjunction with a tall spindle swap I'll be handling it on my own.

On a side note do you get up to cruisin grand on fridays? My car club willbe one of the featured clubs this coming friday if Im not mistaken. So my 66 will be there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts