El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Deputy Director Region 18 Participating Member
6,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
..went out to move the cars around, and as soon as I put in in park,my brake pedal went to the floor.I got out to check for leaks and all four wheels are dry,so,this leads me to believe its the master cylinder took a dump. It not the first time,that was 12 years a go.So, Iguess its time to replace it again. does anybody knows what is the life time on these things??..thanks.:beer:---gilby---:beer:

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
I,d say it's likely time AGAIN.That's what happens when we hang on to stuff. I've usually noticed pedal dropping while holding a first sign, will grab again when pumped. Something funny here, as someone who brakes a lot with the stick shift & haven't regularly daily driven since the late 90's, I still have all the same brake parts since 1993 except for master cylinder, hydroboost unit & of course fluid changes.

·
Premium Member
851 Posts
Like any mechanical parts, how long it will last is a mystery. Regular use probably would have extended its life, but who's to say..... Years at the dealer has shown me stuff that lasts forever and the same thing on a similar car has failures. Fix it and go on I guess..........

·
Past Texas Director
6,185 Posts
..went out to move the cars around, and as soon as I put in in park,my brake pedal went to the floor.I got out to check for leaks and all four wheels are dry,so,this leads me to believe its the master cylinder took a dump. It not the first time,that was 12 years a go.So, Iguess its time to replace it again. does anybody knows what is the life time on these things??..thanks.:beer:---gilby---:beer:
I'm going to guess they last about 12 years! :poke:

·
ZERO MPG
15,368 Posts
He's got bad brakes cause he keeps stoping at green lights!!!:poke:
Donny

No didn't you see the pictures when he was driving down the cliff ,out checking the fields!!!:poke:

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
How often was the fluid flushed? I'm on 13 years now on my Silverado's original MC and calipers (all 4 of them) without any issues. I flush the system out about every 2 years. If it looks dark, it gets flushed. Any moisture in the system will cause rust... and it's that rust that tears up the seals.

·
ZERO MPG
15,368 Posts

·
6,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
He's got bad brakes cause he keeps stoping at green lights!!!:poke:
Donny
I'm going to guess they last about 12 years! :poke:
No didn't you see the pictures when he was driving down the cliff ,out checking the fields!!![URL]http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/smileys/smoking-030.gif[/URL]:poke:
How often was the fluid flushed? I'm on 13 years now on my Silverado's original MC and calipers (all 4 of them) without any issues. I flush the system out about every 2 years. If it looks dark, it gets flushed. Any moisture in the system will cause rust... and it's that rust that tears up the seals.
[email protected] Donny:..the other day the wife put on the e-brake and my "brake Light" didn't come on and as We where going down the road,I did smell the brakes a burnin...:let_it_all_out:
[email protected] Terry: so much for the lifetime warranty...:dontknow:
[email protected]:..you should come up here and I can show you some really NaStY trails...:poke:
...SSR71:...Opps..never done in the last 12 years...:huh:
[email protected] El Daiblo:...Thats the one...lol..:beer:

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
check the rear brakes and bleed them she may have boiled the fluid.the rear brake is what gives you your pedal height.bleed and adjust them.if no chang change the master,buy a new one .have had a 40% failure rate on rebuilts.either leak or fail early.if it is something you dont drive much tou might want to use silicone fluid.it came original in my 83 malibu police car and it has 430,000 miles and only parts other than lineings and caliper seals was a booster and proportioning valve all else is original. i got it with 43,000 and 11 mo oldso i know its histery

·
ZERO MPG
15,368 Posts
[email protected] Donny:..the other day the wife put on the e-brake and my "brake Light" didn't come on and as We where going down the road,I did smell the brakes a burnin...:let_it_all_out:
[email protected] Terry: so much for the lifetime warranty...:dontknow:
[email protected]:..you should come up here and I can show you some really NaStY trails...:poke:
...SSR71:...Opps..never done in the last 12 years...:huh:
[email protected] El Daiblo:...Thats the one...lol..:beer:

How far are you from Pismo? I'm taking off about 10 days for the Pismo get together. I'm thinking of throwing my camping equipment in the back it's all in rubber storage containers that i can put in the hotel room without a hassel and do some fishing somewhere around there or lake cachuma is on the way home.:beer:

·
6,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How far are you from Pismo? I'm taking off about 10 days for the Pismo get together. I'm thinking of throwing my camping equipment in the back it's all in rubber storage containers that i can put in the hotel room without a hassel and do some fishing somewhere around there or lake cachuma is on the way home.:beer:
..quite a ways,trying to save up so we can go to Pismo and yes,I'm bring my pole too. :beer::beer:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts