El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got a pace performance magazine in the mail and in the back they sell a brand new 305ci for an 85 for $1,471.90. i was thinking about buying it. i was wondering if anyone knew anything about it? and i was wondering if all of my other parts for the 305 i have now would fit on the new one?? and what does this new engine come with? thanks for your help.

·
Registered
314 Posts
if its a crate motor it will come with everything except carb, and distributor.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I would go with something bigger then a 305....if your going through the trouble of a swap, you might as well drop at least a 350 in there, or a 383. I've always said if my engine ever is to the point of replacement (and its nowhere near it now) theres no point in dropping stock back in her unless your going for a 100% clean original restoration.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
383 sounds nice. i was just looking at a kind of cheap way out but now that i looked at that mean 383 in pace catalog it looks so mean. is there anyone that makes mounts for a 383?? and what other parts would i need to make it work? like would i need a new rearend?? and what tranny should i go with??

·
Registered
105 Posts
well, if time frame's not a huge issue, and you've got the money, may as well do it, as long as you dont need your elky up and running in the next week, then it'd be worth it to just do it "right" with a 383, and the numbers you'd be putting out i'd say you would want a new rear end, what tranny do you have now? as long as you have a mild 383, the TH350 should handle it, and the TH400 would definetly handle it. A stronger rear would probably be good, not sure whats popular for elky's.

regardless, at least drop a 350 in it, that way you'll have the option of more power later, 305's just arent worth putting money into.....i say this as i put headers, doing cam intake carb swap soon on my 305....but then again it wasnt my engine that blew(wish it was!! :))

·
87 Choo Choo
1,406 Posts
phillyttops said:
is there anyone that makes mounts for a 383??
A 383 is just a 350 block with a 400 crank in it. your 305 motor mounts will work on a 350 sb no problem...

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'd say get some good u-joints and a posi if it doesn't have one already. Does anyone know what cars the GM 8.5 10 bolt came in besides a GN? If you intend to make a ridiculous amount of power, I'd say get aftermarket axles, like Moser.

·
Registered
314 Posts
i know monte carlo ss had posi, but im not sure if they were 7.5 or 8.5

·
Registered
5 Posts
I believe the Mont Carlo SS had a 8.5 with 3.42 gears, the Hurst/Olds 442 I know came with a 8.5 with 3.73 gears. But I wonder if any trucks like the s-10 or silverado came with a 5 lug 10 bolt that'll fit in the wheel wells. I also wonder if the B-body's (Caprice's, LeSabre's, etc,) came with axles that will fit under the skin, they do come with Turbo 200 trannies with OD after 84. Guess I better get off my lazy ass and go to the junkyard with a tape measure.

·
Registered
165 Posts
81stroker said:
I'd say get some good u-joints and a posi if it doesn't have one already. Does anyone know what cars the GM 8.5 10 bolt came in besides a GN? If you intend to make a ridiculous amount of power, I'd say get aftermarket axles, like Moser.
Only the 442 and the GN/GNX had the 8.5's. A buddy of mine just got one off ebay with disc brakes and a 3.42 for $850...what a find. The MCSS (86-88) had the 7.5 3.73 posi and the 83-85's had the 7.5 3.42 posi.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Pace says he uses GM Crate engines so the 383 has about 325 HP rating and most GM crate motors are warranted for 36000 I think. @ about 400 to 425 Lb./ft. of torque your not going to be tearing out the transmission or the rear end with that. I would still suggest that you upgrade to a posi and 3.73:1 at least to reap the benefits.

What you will be getting is a foundation for a possible 500 or more horse power and 500 and more Lb/Ft. of torque. It will take replacing some of the crate engines parts. Cam Heads and some other odds and ends. Then the 400 THD and 12 Bolt or the 10 bolt 8.5".

It would be a great upgrade.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts