El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats up everyone, very glad to be apart of the NECOA family. This is my very first Elco and I hope I can whip this thing into shape as it can be the first one I have ever driven or even rode in. I picture myself picking yall's brain as much as possible seeing as this will basically be my very first ever major project as well. I don't have much experience working on classic cars like this, but I was a diesel mechanic in the Marine Corps for 5 years so I can pick things up good.

So I found this 75 Classic when I was surfing the web one day at the USO in Afghanistan (Marine Corps) $500 which I thought was an absolute steal. The owner emailed me back and told me how it had recently been stolen and crashed into something with minor front end damage, and he did not want to fool with it anymore.

Its supposedly all original except for the engine being rebuilt at some point in the late 90's. I can't remember what he mentioned about it.

Anyways, I let the truck sit for the past 4 years as I struggled with employment issues and raising my 2 young daughters but I've finally found myself in the position where I can start tinkering with it on the weekends and a bit during the week.

My first mission is to attempt to rebuild the steering column or just replace it due to the fact that the thieving *******s whole stole it ripped the steering column apart in order to manipulate the ignition actuator rod to start it. However since I'm still kinda strapped for cash I've already begun the tear down of the column.

So I begin with my first post on any tips, tricks or advice you fine folks might have.

1) I have already purchased a CD based GM Service Manual from Ebay that covers everything. the diagrams are okay I guess. kinda expected better, but oh well.

2) My main issue right now is that I'm not 100% sure if I only need to replace the ignition switch rack and then just slip the end of the rod into it?

3) I have since lost the keys in the last few years but when I first attempted to, I could not turn the ignition at all in any direction

4) The bright side of all this is this truck fires up strong whenever I give a hard pull on the ignition rod itself.

thanks for any input.

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Premium Member
8,134 Posts
Hi Justin, welcome from Idaho. I'm not familiar with the steering column. Some will be able to help with your questions shortly.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Welcome from Nevada.

Hood luck with your project. A trip to a local pick-a-part for a complete column may be as cheap as replacing parts. I'm sure the column was used on many GM models and years, not just ECs.

·
Premium Member
4,664 Posts
Hi Justin,
Good advice above about getting a used column. Many out there and will have all da secondary parts you'll need. Smart first move getting a manual! Enjoy da site.

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,710 Posts
Welcome from Florida ! :florida:
Semper Fi ! :usa:

·
Deputy Director Region 18 Participating Member
6,292 Posts
welcome to the site, it's nice to see more 4th gen elkies:cali:

·
Deputy Director Site Contributor
1,455 Posts
Justin,
Welcome aboard from Sunny San Diego Ca.
Up in your neck of the woods is Robert. He may be able to give you a few pick a part yards to look for on that column.
Have fun and ask questions.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Welcome home Marine.. thank you for your service.
x2 on not rebuilding the existing column. I replaced mine three yrs ago for $180 and never had a problem.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Welcome Justin from Riverside/San Bernardino! There is a place in Riverside (Rick's Rare El Camino parts) that might have the parts your looking for. Google it and the phone # will come up.
RTT Todd

·
Registered
702 Posts
Justin, Welcome from Maryland! :Welcome#:
Best of luck with your project!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts