El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im looking into replacing the current pvc system with one of the small ones that go one the cover and my question is is there a good brand im looking at [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Performance-Replacement-Breather-Filter-Chrome/dp/B0053CL52W/ref=sr_1_78?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1341949869&sr=1-78&keywords=breathers[/ame]
and are they hard to install instead of having the pvc system? any help is much appreciated

·
Registered
1966 El Camino
2,048 Posts
The PCV system is a benefit to your motor and I think you should reconsider eliminating it, you can replace the breather on the opposite side of the motor if you wish, but having two breathers is not as effective as the pcv system.

You dont really gain anything by eliminating the PCV system, except for perhaps looks.

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
It is fine to use one small vent with your pvc valve. That allows the crankcase to vent which is very important. Using two vents without the pcv valve will not help your motor in the long run and the two vents will start to mess up your valve covers. Without the positive ventilation moisture will begin to cause long term rust inside. Bad move!

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is fine to use one small vent with your pvc valve. That allows the crankcase to vent which is very important. Using two vents without the pcv valve will not help your motor in the long run and the two vents will start to mess up your valve covers. Without the positive ventilation moisture will begin to cause long term rust inside. Bad move!
i only see one hole for the current set up there isnt one on the other side should there be?

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
No. You don't actually need a open breather, let alone two. I run one breather on driver's side valve cover and my pcv valve is plugged into pass side cover. The valve regulates how much vent flow occurs by sensing vacuum. If you google up a search for pcv you will find simple explanations better than what I have offered.

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
Good luck.:secret:

·
Registered
555 Posts
ok after reading the Wikipedia page i now understand it better and more for the look would like to take it off and put in a small chrome one. what would i need to plug the holes in the intake manifold? and what about the holes that lead to the control vac?
The breather you purchase should come with a rubber grommet. You replace the PCV Valve rubber grommet with the grommet included with your breather. You will need to plug any vacum ports on the carb or intake manifold that the PCV Valve was connected to.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The breather you purchase should come with a rubber grommet. You replace the PCV Valve rubber grommet with the grommet included with your breather. You will need to plug any vacum ports on the carb or intake manifold that the PCV Valve was connected to.
i still need the hose to what looks to be my throttle right?

·
Premium Member
2,283 Posts
Open element air cleaner (L34/L78/L79) with closed positive ventilation - same elbow and hose to air cleaner.

Base of 325hp closed element air cleaner without closed positive ventilation - uses oil cap on passenger side valve cover.

Open element air cleaner base. Note provision for hose (lower left circle) to passenger side valve cover. The upper circle is where the flame arrestor screen goes.

Many aftermarket open element air cleaners has no provision in the base for the K24 hose. In that case you're limited to either the oil breather cap or getting a kit to adapt the air cleaner base.

Eckler's has the vent elbow at $11.00 and an adapter kit for the base of the air cleaner if your's is not already equipped at $4.00 with the connection and the molded hose for $17.00 although I've used standard hose if the bend is not too severe. I should note these are Corvette and aftermarket parts and may not be "correct" but will work.

·
Premium Member
12,122 Posts
In the old days, before PVC systems, the SBC engines had a breather vent in the back of the block, and when waiting for a traffic light to change, the oil smell from the breather would drift up and into an open car widow. So the PVC system did help. And the moisture that LOCKJAW mentioned was common in those early Chevy V8s.

·
Premium Member
5,899 Posts
If you are just trying to eliminate it for looks I see it as the opposite effect. When I see engines at shows that the owner has eliminated helpful systems such as the pcv it immediately makes me wonder about what they did to the rest of the car.
You are getting good advise in your answers. Keep the pcv system.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If you are just trying to eliminate it for looks I see it as the opposite effect. When I see engines at shows that the owner has eliminated helpful systems such as the pcv it immediately makes me wonder about what they did to the rest of the car.
You are getting good advise in your answers. Keep the pcv system.
well my thing is i hate the huge black air cleaner that most likely dosnt get good air intake

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
Eliminating the ugly air cleaner does not require removing such a vital system like pvc. Use any air cleaner. There are many options for plumbing the vent system. Removal of pvc is unwise. But, advice is free and you can ignore it.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Eliminating the ugly air cleaner does not require removing such a vital system like pvc. Use any air cleaner. There are many options for plumbing the vent system. Removal of pvc is unwise. But, advice is free and you can ignore it.
really it looked like it was hooked into it hmm ill have to go look at it again

1 - 20 of 29 Posts