El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My passenger side power window stopped working a few days ago. My drivers side window works on the double switch. Neither work for the passenger window, on the passenger door or the drivers side switch. I checked by glove box manual to see if I could check a fuse. I could not find the one that was labeled power windows. Any thoughts I know their is a similar thread a few down and I checked the connections and they are not frayed or split. Is there any other quick checks I could do before buying new switches? Assuming that is the next logical step.

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
It's probably the motor, not the switch. Pull the door panel and disconnect the plug at the motor. Using a test light see if there is power going into the wires. It should light up on wire for up and the other wire for down. If you have power there the motor is bad unless something has it jammed.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
the power windows are usually controled by a circuit breaker not a fuse.try holding the window switch in one direction depending on where the window stopped .if up hold it down and vice versa and at the same time smack the door panel hard with the palm of your hand about a ft down from the switch.sometimes this will get a dieing motor going agan for a few.

·
Premium Member
852 Posts
Agreed. A good pop on the door will usually revive a motor thats inop. Could have stuff gummimg up the brushes and such. I have seen window motors start working after a good pop, but if thats the case, replace it anyway, because it will continue to work until it starts raining out, then your stuck...

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Where would be the best place to find a replacement motor?

·
Deputy Director Region 6
9,316 Posts
Look at rockauto.com or e bay for AC Delco window Motor Part #12497971 !!

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
stay away from auto zone thiers are crap. i put new ones from them in mine when i put it together and the new ones are worse than the old ones i took out

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Awesome!! That link is very much appreciated!! Thanks also for the part number.:You_Rock:

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
very nice. i am going to use a different motor and regulator when i find the right doors for my 86.i dont like those pankake motors

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Next problem. I installed a new motor and pushed up and because of the new motor install there was a little up room and went right up!! HOWEVER. . . it will not go back down so I am essentially back at square one. Neither driver side or passenger side switch will send it down. Do I need to invest in a new set of switches or where is my problem?:dontknow:

·
Premium Member
5,965 Posts
If the passenger side switch is bad neither switch will make it move so check it first.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I tested them both and I they tested ok. That is why I replaced the motor instead of the switches. I guess I will have to replace them too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts