El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
diconnected cable from transmission and speedometer and removed it. inside cable was broken. cruise never worked. is it one cable or are there two cables. one going from the trans to the cruise then another from the cruise to the speedometer. not sure since the cruse was not working and looked to be broken off. this is for a 1983 el camino.
thanks Bill

·
1,867 Posts
One cable from trans to cruise, Then one cable from cruise to speedometer, so two cables . You can get complete cables from any car parts store.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tommy thank you for the reply. replaced both cables as you stated. however still nothing. next checked plastic gear going ito trans. its ok but it does not seam to mesh with anything. gear inside must be broken. i see nothing inside when i remove the plug with the plastic gear. how dificult is it to look inside and replace any worn or broken gears?

Bill

·
1,867 Posts
You did not state what trans you have. If its a th350 you must remove the tail shaft to get to the inter one. Not sure of the others . Grab the top cable & spin it, does the speedometer jump. That would eliminate the top one & gauge.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
have to work tommorow(24 hours,iam a Miami Dade Firefighter). will connect top cable from crusie to speedometer to the drill. i was by myself and could not really tell when i turned it by hand. how ever i did connect the cable to the trans and put the rear on jackstands. when i put the vehicle in drive the inside cable did not turn, and the gear going into the trans looks ok. Just got the el camino last week off the net. It is in excellent condition,paint,interior,a/c,motor. everything seems to be in very good shape. state farm put excellent for condition. i would much rather have an old classic than a new vehicle. I bought my harley in 93 new and have over 120,000 miles on it,but i will rebuild before i sell it.
again thanks for the help and i enjoy this sight and driving my elky.
Bill

·
1,867 Posts
Firefighting is a very honorable profession. I salute you. I also agree with your choice of a fine vehicle. Let me know how it comes out.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well bad news its in the tail piece. hooked drill to the cable going from the cruise to speedometer and it worked. also hooked drill to where it goes into trans and it worked. ordered a shop manual off ebay and when it arrives i will look into going further. enjoy doing most of my own work,but i need the manual before i will start. will keep on reading and asking questions. enjoy the site very much and would like to thank everyone for their help now and in the future.
Bill

·
1,867 Posts
If it's a th350 it's not hard to remove. Remove drive shaft, then remove the 4 bolts at hold on the tail shaft & slide out. Have a pan under it because you will lose some fluid.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update

Tommy, here is an update on my el camino. found about a spoon full of antifreeze on the top left front of motor. hoses,clamps and water pump were all ok. found a small leak from the intake manifold. got a book and removed everything and replaced vave cover and intake gaskets. went to start the car and it only backfired,after some research i found i had the distribitor 180 degrees off. rotated distribitor and the car runs great and no leaks. also removed the tail piece from trans and replaced speedometer drive gear. now i have a working speedometer. changed fluids,cleaned carb,flushed radiator and timed engine. now i have a great looking and running car. went to my first local car meet saturday. will take some photos and place them on the sight. thanks again ! and to those reading this that think they can not do any of their own work. this was my first time taking the top end of the motor off and i just followed directions so it can been done.
Bill

·
1,867 Posts
Glad to hear it, Bill. The first time is the hardest but after that it's all down hill. Good work.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts