El Camino Central Forum banner

Buckets or Bench?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok- it has come down to a dilema now- BUCKETS OR BENCH?

I currently have a 60/40 or 55/45 split bench(cant tell- prolly 60/40) and I am *trying* to refrubish the interior. Now I need to decide whether to ditch the bench or not! please help me provided the information below:
Buckets:
Pros- Sporty Look, prolly more comfy, lumbar support(who cares?)

Cons- NOT good for lovin' :cry: , Will need to rig up some new seatbelt system which I have no idea how to do.
Bench:
Pros- GOOD for Lovin' :cool: , Classic look, no adjustments needed

Cons- no lumbar support(who cares? what is lumbar anyways?) Saggy, alittle raggedy too. Hmmm...

So there ya go guys- the pros and cons of Bench and Buckets all in order of importancy. hehe. *remember i am a 16 year old kid :wink: *

Thanks-
Luke

E

·
0 Posts
Buckets or Bench

:D I've got a bench in my 59, a bench in my 78 and a 60/40 in my 87, and I really like the 60/40 which also has a pulldown arm rest. I wish I had 60/40 in all 3. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I might just keep it- I wonder if I can find like a black leather upholstery set for it?? hmmm... But then I would have to buy a new carpet set and a new dash and pod cluster. That's like atleast 900 right there...man. wee will see!

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Never really cared for bench seats. Had them removed from my 93 Silverado before I took it, Replaced all the Elky seats that were bench for buckets.

I don't care for leather eather. Just a choice. Anyway the Elky has a built in bed that "Never needs making!" :D Really I think I am a little above the age to be getting some in the truck, I have a house.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh man! I found this place that can cu custom foam- so they could cut a bed around the wheel wells, and then ou can put on a hard cover! ?With power actuators connected to the shocks and BOOM you got yourself a love machine!

By the way anybody tried out these tonneau bed actuators from autolock?? I will probably be gettin a cover when i get my doh back(rims..) and this would be so awesome to hit a button on your keychain and your cover comes up!

Good Luck with the Lovin'
-Luke

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have to cast my vote for the 60/40 with driver electric controls. See mine at http://elcaminocentral.com/modules.php?set_albumName=albun20&op=modload&name=Gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
I've got leather electric buckets in my Tahoe and velour manual buckets in the Lumina/Euro...I prefer electric over manual and velour over leather. My butt doesn't know the difference between bucket and bench except the lumbar option on the Tahoe being a blessing on long trips. There...that and 50 cents may get you coffee at some truck stops.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Buckets or bench?

The bench is nice in case you need room for three people to ride.

But buckets are nice because you can adjust them individually.
When a short driver has to pull the bench up close, it doesn't leav much space for passenger's legs.

·
Registered
314 Posts
bench seat does nothing when your taking corners fast, plus they don't work if you want to install a floor shift, and if someone wants a ride so bad that they'll cram in the middle then they're desperate enough for the bed.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Well, having cars that have both in them, I have to say that buckets are probably more to my taste, mainly because of how I drive (keep me in place when cornering, keep stuff on the passenger side more in place than a bench)....

But, a wench sea... err... bench seat definitely has it's uses... :wink:

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
There is nothing that takes me back in time to the best years of my life, than taking out the Elky with a bench seat and having a nice woman sitting right next to you.

Yea, you slide a bit in the corners, but hey, thats all part of it. You can always snap the seat belts on.

·
Registered
2 Posts
buckets or bench

Personally i like bench. i have one in my 82 el camino. by the way, can neone tell me of a site that i can get a new bench seat. mine is pretty worn out and i would really like a new one.

·
1,867 Posts
I love buckets period. I think of my elky as a sports car with a bed. I thought at one time about a bench seat for both kids but when we had 3 what was the use, besides most of the time when I drive the elky it's just me. A bench seat is something that works in my dads old Oldsmobile, but not for me.

·
Registered
37 Posts
i got a 60/40 im my 77 i like it and who cares if you slide a bit around the corners i think that makes it funner to drive but it really matters if you want a "sporty" feel or like the old time crusin feel

·
Registered
492 Posts
I have a bench in my El Camino, I love it!

Saying that I love buckets also. I love the buckets in my Buick Grand National. A bench seat in that would look, well....stupid! I think if I had a 4/5/6 speed in my Elky the buckets would be way cool with that set-up. Just love the look.

But I really love my bench seat with the automatic in my Elky. As I have said in other posts, driving my '70 really brings me back as a teen in that great 60's early 70's era.

You can give all the pros and cons of bench vs buckets but nothing can beat crusing with your best girl sitting right next to you on a Friday/Saturday night with a bench seat!

You younger guys won't know this but back in the 60's there was no seat belt law and your girl always sat right next to you. The only down fall was getting a slap every now and then with a girl that did not want you to messing with her stocking tops as we drove! Another thing you younger guys missed out on...garters and stockings all the gals wore....loved the 60's and those bench seats! :p

·
1,867 Posts
Yea, I'm only 40 so I wouldn't know about that! All the Chevelles & Camaros I owned had buckets. :)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Bench or Buckets?

Buckets Rule,Just completed the change over from 60/40 power regal seats to reclining power buckets with console and shifter.I pulled the buckets out of a 87 Grand Prix and had them upholstered like the ones in the El camino and Monte carlos.They have more padding than the others, [when you`re my age that matters] 87Last1

·
Registered
8 Posts
teenager to teenager, keep the bench. A couple of reasons, 1) the bench offers some cushion for the pushin, 2) good luck finding a girl willing to let you park your elky somewhere, get out and go to the bed with you. Just keep the bench for now, and when you put a ring on a girls finger, then re-think changing the bench to buckets

1 - 20 of 21 Posts