El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
dont know if u guys have all taken off your door panels yet, but a while back on my 76 gmc sprint, I found the build sheet behind the drivers side door panel. There was also one under the bench seat, which was torn up, i heard there was one on top of the gas tank too, but never looked yet...
i wonder why they were hidden in these places.........

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I often wondered why they stick them in those odd places too! You'd think it would make much more sense to simply put the build sheet in the glove box! The one for my '78 was long gone before I got it, the headliner was missing, and the gas tank had been replaced, and it wasn't in the doors, or in the seat, so no build sheet for me :cry:

·
Registered
195 Posts
My build sheet was under the drivers seat i just wish the seat springs wouldn't of rust stained and damaged it because now its pretty hard to read and make out.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Build sheets were basically a work order for the workers on the assembly line so they would know the options to put on the car. As the car Moved down the line, the workers would just stuff the sheets in various spots. -under the gas tank, -Under the dash, -under the door panels, -Under the seats, -Inside the headlinder, etc etc.

There was no rhyme or reason to it- that is why some cars have them, and some cars don't. Some cars have several of them jammed into different places... Goofy, but thats the way it worked.
:roll: :D

S

·
0 Posts
Speaking of headliners, I was at the junkyard yanking one out and I got a lapful of hypodermic needles! no build sheet though....haha

-AC

·
Registered
47 Posts
Oh Man! I hope you didn't get jabbed!

I like searching around through the old cars. I've found pipes and all kinds of neat stuff. I'm a packrat.

my best find ever was a homemade leather belt with the Busch emblem on it. ha--straight from the 70's. :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts