El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently building a 350 to put in my 84 el camino. I have purchased tons of items and my block is at the machine shop until tommorrow morning. The items i have bought are a Comp Cam XE274, Hughs 1500 stall convertor, Edelbrock rpm performer intake, flowmaster 40's series mufflers, comp cam hi-rev lifters, pushrods, rocker arms, HEI hi-output rebuild kit, all new bearings, rings, and awesome black Bow-tie valve covers with Edelbrock racing oil breathers, and several other items i am just forgeting. My tranny is a TH350 with a B&M street/strip kit, and a 3.73 rearend. I am hoping to have it complete and installed in about a month, but i am currently 4 to 5 inches out of the hood with the intake carb and air cleaner set up.

Is there a way to use a front facing hood scoop to maximize air flow to carb, without sucking water down the carb when it rains and i drive to work? And does anyone have heads for sale that are not ungodly high that will handle a cam with a .490 lift? I am using stock exhaust manafolds, but I am grinding and polishing the ports on the manifolds to help flow.

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
Sounds like a really sweet setup your going with, why not go with a bolt on cowl induction style fiberglass hood. They can be ordered in different heights and give the car a really mean look, plus they take some weight off the front end. They are available from several sources, shop around.

·
Registered
31 Posts
hey, I did a 350 swap in my 5th gen as well and did a little bit of mild performance on it. I also recommend the cowl hood. I have seen it done and they look awesome. As far as heads, you can go to this website (http://www.goautocenter.com/our_company.htm )and order World product cast iron heads fully assembled. Mine were S/R's fully assmebled with 67cc combustion chambers and brand new. They ran me $563 total. Not bad for some new fully assembled heads. They do have 2.02 and 1.6 valve heads with 64 cc combustion chambers for I think it was another extra 100 bucks or something. Another place to look is Northern Auto Parts and they sell World product heads as well. They are cheap but come bare but you can order a kit that will take up to .490 or higher. Check it out and good luck.
-Yoshi

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
You can buy the drop bases for the Air Cleaners. If you're limited on head room. Thay can drop the top of the air cleaner by as much as 3 to 4 inches. Just in case you'd like to get it going before you went out and spent the cash on a hood scoop.

Just a thought!

They make the Vortec Heads that will take a regular intake and you can get the adapter for the Valve covers so that they bolt on no problem. The Vortec heads are good up to 400 Ponies and I think that they have a .5" lift limit unless you replace the springs and then you can do more.

The reason is you asked about a good set of heads at a reasonable price. The Vortec heads are good heads and they are about the least expensive alternative besides used heads.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts