El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been thinking for awhile about putting a new engine in my '86. I just started a new job, and decided that in the little free time that i have i would build my engine from the ground up. where is the best place to buy a short block 383? I don't know what brand or even where to look. This is one that my friend recommended: http://www.jegs.com/i/Blueprint-Engines/138/BP3830/10001/-1

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is what one of my friends at work found. I really haven't had time to check I have been working 14+ hrs a day. I thought that seemed really high also. I would prefer a strocker if I could find one. What is a good price for a 383 strocker long block?

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Now...Now...Now...Buying a short / Long Block is not building an engine:secret:

I build from Bare Block, buy a core and have it machined the way I like :nanawrench:...File my own rings to fit...set each bearing gap...Old School Blue Printing....It's not hard, but takes about a week to do it right...labor of love...

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Now...Now...Now...Buying a short / Long Block is not building an engine:secret:

I build from Bare Block, buy a core and have it machined the way I like :nanawrench:...File my own rings to fit...set each bearing gap...Old School Blue Printing....It's not hard, but takes about a week to do it right...labor of love...
I don't think i am good enough to do it from the core up. I know it will cost more to build it my way, but i need something to do after work and i thought this would be a great adventure.

·
Registered
555 Posts
So I have been thinking for awhile about putting a new engine in my '86. I just started a new job, and decided that in the little free time that i have i would build my engine from the ground up. where is the best place to buy a short block 383? I don't know what brand or even where to look. This is one that my friend recommended: http://www.jegs.com/i/Blueprint-Engines/138/BP3830/10001/-1
This Jegs engine has hypereutectic pistons, a stock crank and stock rods. If you plan on building a stock engine (250hp) that's fine, but if you plan to put some compression in this motor and a performance cam, then I would not use this short block.

·
Supporting Member
4,477 Posts
I think it's important to plan your project on paper before you buy your first part. What do you expect from the engine ( HP, Torque, Mileage, etc)? Do you want to use a roller cam, hydraulic flat tappet, or solid lifter cam? Compression ratio? Do you want to use regular gas, or is Premium OK? What heads will best meet your requirements? Emissions requirements in your area? Carb, TBI, TPI intake? Headers ( short or long)?

You can go a long way to helping your decisions with a "Paper Build". Compare prices, add up costs, etc.

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
I usually go on Craigslist and find a 350 engine or short block. Then tear it down to see what condition it's in. From there it depends on how much power you want.

For a stock to mild engine:
Send the block out for cleaning if it looks good. Have them tell you how much the cylinders need to be bored.
Get the heads cleaned and a good valve job.
Go to eBay and buy a complete rebuild kit with the size pistons the block needs. They come with just about everything you need.
Kits are availble with various camshafts. Don't go too wild with a stock build -- something like a 268 or 270 degree would be good.
Take the new and old pistons to the machine shop and have them bore the block to the correct size and mount the old rods on the new pistons. If you want to pay a little more, have them resize the rod ends. Also, have the shop install the new cam bearings. Be sure to get new head bolts (eBay is one place).

The rest you can do yourself. It's just putting it all back together. Get a book on rebuilding small block Chevy engines and ask a friend who has done it before to help.

Disclaimer: this is a budget build. You can spend hundreds to thousands more for more exotic builds. This will give you great experience and a nice new engine.

Then, post questions here as you reach a stumbling block (no pun intended).

Jack

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
just save yourself some time. go down to dallas, buy a 5th gen with a pre-grenaded 454 in it. if you need help doing this, just ask Donny.

:texas:

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
i have torn apart my 350, and i have decided that i want to make it into a 383. i want to do this with the least amount of headache, so i figured a engine rebuild kit would be the best option. i have found this (http://www.jegs.com/i/Eagle/356/B13404E/10002/-1) that has close to the compression ratio i want. I was looking for 10:1 and this has a 9.9:1. is that kit a good deal? I have always heard good things about eagle. also, what else will i need to get to make everything new but the block?

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
We miss ya in region 8 Kyle!! I hope all is well out west,, That Eagle kit is what I would use,, they make a great product,, what heads are you going to run?? What I would do is find a good shop that can clearence the block for the stroke,, I cant see the kit right now, (blocked at work:???:) but Eagle rocks!! The rods have the rod bolts and not the rod bolt and nut like a stock rod correct?? You`ll love it,, Matty man

·
Registered
172 Posts
A possible best place for your hot rod engine....

Most people would rather build their own engine rather than buy one, even though it costs way more money to do it that way for the average Joe-Bob. I'm one of those guys who built his engine way before the car was ready for it, and I've found that to be especially typical with the 3rd Generation Camaro crowd that I'm also a part of.

I belong to the largest Camaro site for 3rg Gen's on the planet (1986-92), and if you step on over to their Classified board, you will often find well built engine after well built engine for sale for quite cheap. Most often because after sitting in the corner of the garage for 2-5 years, they: A)sold the car, B) Wrecked the car, C) Changed directions, D) Didn't have the true ability to tear a unibody apart and put it back together again.

There's also fantastic prices on full-boogie 700R transmissions. Just don't buy a torque converter off the board! Anyhow; it's well worth the look for your Short or Long 383: ThirdGen.Org

·
Premium Member
12,122 Posts
Summit Racing has a block that's ready for a 383 kit. It's a +.030 over bore, clearanced for the longer stroke, with either H or I beam rods, deck is machined, line-honed main & cam bore, etc, and can use roller or flat tappet lifters, and it's a 1-piece rear seal. 4-bolt mains also. Soft plugs installed etc.
Price...$651.95, and 99 bucks to ship it.
Compare this price to what a machine shop wants, to do the same machining, plus the cost of a block you furnish.
The Eagle or Scat parts seem to be the best choice these days, for quality.
The 383 is really the best of both worlds in a small block Chevy, the 400 stroke without the 400 shortfalls, like siamese cylinders etc.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
alright, so i ended up buying this kit http://www.jegs.com/i/Eagle/356/B13404E/10002/-1, and now i am stuck. I've been reading as many articles as possible on building a 383, but i am overwhelmed. I need help on choosing a camshaft, and everything that goes in the heads. I have decided that everything going into this block will be brand new, due to me not knowing how long the engine sat at the pick and pull. any recommendations from you veterans will be a huge help. I want to run with a carb and at max get 400hp. Also, i want to run on regular gas . if you could link to the parts/kit also, that would be great. i am really confused on the types of cams, a good compression ratio, and headers

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Hello Kyle,, I hope all is well out west,, miss Ohio yet?? The cam,, your best bet is to call the cam company,, you will need info,, weight of the ride, stall converter if your running an automatic,, rear end gears,, let me talk to my engine builder Monday,, post up the specs of what you have car wise,, what heads are you going to run Kyle?? Thats a biggie,, c/r ratio and runner sizes ect,, if your looking for 400 hp,, a peice of cake,, ex; Edelbrock RPM heads and cam with 9:1 c/r I thinkin` 400 hp easy,, I would run a roller cam with a small base circle (I think) to reduce the clearence issues,, I am sure others will chime in, Take care,, Matty man

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You can likely get by on 87 octane gas with 9.1 or 9.2 CR. Did you stroker kit have info on clearance work on the block for the longer stroke ?
the stroker kit has a 3.750 stroke with a rod length of 5.700. the pistons are -12cc flat top, and the compression ratios are either 8.8, 9.9, or 10.5. the rings are standard gap.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts