El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well here is my problem. Last winter I slid into a wall of ice with my El Camino. Well it pushed the bumper back into the front clip and broke that and in turn that broke the turn signal. Well that isn't the problem cause I have finally found one of them to put back on my car the problem is that the bumper was pushed back and I can not get it to come back on out. It is back about an inch and I have tried a winch and that just pulled the car forward than I tried really tugging on it with a tractor and that did the same. Is there something I can do to possibly fix this or do I just need a new bumper guard? I would greatly appreciate it if someone can help me. Thanks

·
Registered
70 Posts
Just buy new(or used) bumper shocks.They worked when you needed them,if you just jack the shocks back out,they won't do the job they are supposed to.
8) Shane

·
Banned
881 Posts
BigRed said:
Chain the bumper to a stationary object and back the car up under it's own power?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ryan, I hope that was a joke. Better to replace the bad bumper shock than to hurt a tree. Change both while you're at it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks

Hi everyone. I am going to replace the bumper shock however another question. The motor that the car is coming from is a 79 Chevy Impala and I was wondering if anyone can tell me if the bumper shocks would be the same? Thanks everyone

·
Registered
120 Posts
87ElCamino said:
BigRed said:
Chain the bumper to a stationary object and back the car up under it's own power?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ryan, I hope that was a joke. Better to replace the bad bumper shock than to hurt a tree. Change both while you're at it.
I didn't fully understand the scenario until more of you replied. I thought that he had a new bumper and clip and was trying to remove the old bumper to replace it but it was jammed & wouldn't come off.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
El Camino

Hi the bumper held its own. The thing didn't have a scratch on it surprisingly. The thing did its job and did a great one at that however the clip didn't make it cause it went back however the bumper shock it sounds like needs to come on off. The bumper can be pushed in and than it can be pulled out by hand however it will not stay out. So it looks like the shock is a gonner. So this impala I am not sure cause I don't have it yet I won't see it until tomorrow but I was wondering if the shock will work for the El Camino or does anyone have a couple font bumper shocks around or does anyone know where I can get a couple cheaper. Thanks for all the help people

·
Registered
492 Posts
ok the 79 impala is a B body. your Elky is an A. i looked it up and they have different numbers, and they look different in the picture. the number for your elky is 22016698 and the list price 81.32, and it looks like there is a bracket behind the absorber, you might want to check that out too.

·
Registered
41 Posts
:D I just happen to have what you need. I had a minor fender bender that collapsed my bumper shock, and I ended up with one extra during the repair process. It's for sale real reasonable, just make me an offer. Shipping will probably cost more than the shock. some words of warning, though. Check you mounting posts very carefully, and your allignment. Even though the bump didn't appear to do much damage, my Elky's frame was 1&1/2 inches out of allignment. I had to put it on a frame rack and straighted it out. You can generally tell by how the quarter panels and hood match up, but for very small crunches, it never hurts to check the allignment. If you don't, you'll wear out your tires, or your car will look like it's trying to pass itself going down the highway. :cool:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts