El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello at all,
my 71th Elky is not possible to make a burnout. Engine is 350 SBC with 270Hp. If I put the brake to hold the car, the engine will not running up. Looks like that the rear drum brakes have to much brake power. Nobody in Germany understand why. Normally everybody can burn black stripes on the street. For me unpossible. Have anybody an idea? Whats wrong with my car...

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Two possibilities: either the engine isn’t making enough power or the brakes are too strong. You can adjust the brakes so that the shoes apply less quickly and less firmly (in relation to the front). You can try putting water under the tires.If neither of those work, compare your power accelerating to a similar car (250-300 horsepower and 3500-4000 pounds). You may need a tune up.
Good luck!
Patrick

·
Premium Member
2,389 Posts
What gears in the rear differential? I can't smoke a tire in mine with 2.73 gears in it either. But I'm ok with that because I get fabulous gas mileage.

Rick

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
87 Caballero Amarillo, original 305/200-4R, QJ
1,480 Posts
I have a stock 305 in my 87 cab, so lucky to get 140hp right now. And I can spin the standard drive with drum brakes.

You just need to learn how to apply the brakes. Standing on them doesn't help. Leaving the tranny in D doesn't help. You need to drop it manually into 1 then punch the gas while letting go of the brakes slightly. It's harder if you have Posi rear and beefy tires, but will still happen.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have a stock 305 in my 87 cab, so lucky to get 140hp right now. And I can spin the standard drive with drum brakes.

You just need to learn how to apply the brakes. Standing on them doesn't help. Leaving the tranny in D doesn't help. You need to drop it manually into 1 then punch the gas while letting go of the brakes slightly. It's harder if you have Posi rear and beefy tires, but will still happen.
...I agree is not easy to put the brake, tires on back are bigger than in front....

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Two possibilities: either the engine isn’t making enough power or the brakes are too strong. You can adjust the brakes so that the shoes apply less quickly and less firmly (in relation to the front). You can try putting water under the tires.If neither of those work, compare your power accelerating to a similar car (250-300 horsepower and 3500-4000 pounds). You may need a tune up.
Good luck!
Patrick
how can I adjust the brakes on rear axle? I think this brakes are too strong... Motor have enough powerI guess.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What gears in the rear differential? I can't smoke a tire in mine with 2.73 gears in it either. But I'm ok with that because I get fabulous gas mileage.

Rick

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
...Don´t know. Have to open, but not yet. After Oil changing I know more. Only thing I know is that the rear differential have 12 bolts.

·
Registered
1966 El Camino
2,293 Posts
how can I adjust the brakes on rear axle? I think this brakes are too strong... Motor have enough powerI guess.
Your rear drums are self-adjusting so even if you loosened them up they would reset back after very little time. I wouldn't suggest weakening your braking power just so can do the occasional burnout, it doesn't sound like a safe idea to me.

There may be a number of reasons you aren't able to power brake a burnout.
  1. your engine isn't powerful enough (i don't think this is necessarily your problem, though your engine may be poorly tuned giving you less power than you should have) Also remember American engines, especially crate engines are rated gross HP and not NET nor at rear wheels, so your 279 hp will be below 200 at the wheels.
  2. too tall a rear gear. combine low power with a 2 series gear and any burnout can become a challenge.
  3. your tires are too tall or too sticky - tall tires make a steep gear even steeper and sticky tires are well... sticky
A line lock as suggested in an earlier response will allow you to lock your front brakes only, this means with no rear braking power applied it should be considerably easier to spin the rear wheel(s), this also seems like a lot of work just for the occasional showing off.

I would suggest making sure you have a good tune on the engine, and maybe swap out the tires for something with a hard compound, BFG TA radials look good and might as well be made of plastic they are so hard :) if those aren't available get a tire with a treadwear rating of 400 or greater.

·
Deputy Regional Director, Region 13
6,772 Posts
if it spins on gravel, then that narrows the possibilities. such as possibly eliminate the brake system as the limiting cause

that would then point to the tires or power loss as the reason why you can't spin. don't forget, you mentioned you have larger tires in the rear. how big are they?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
if it spins on gravel, then that narrows the possibilities. such as possibly eliminate the brake system as the limiting cause

that would then point to the tires or power loss as the reason why you can't spin. don't forget, you mentioned you have larger tires in the rear. how big are they?
in rear the tires are 255/60 R15. Means 255mm and the brand is GALAXY Radial G/T.
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Truck

·
6,772 Posts
in rear the tires are 255/60 R15. Means 255mm and the brand is GALAXY Radial G/T. View attachment 148231
  • Season: All Season
  • Sidewall RWL: Raised White Letters
  • Type: Truck/SUV
  • Size: 255/60R15
  • Load Range: SL
  • Brand: Vitour
  • Load Index: 102
  • Performance: Performance
  • Speed Rating: V
  • Overall Diameter: 27
Tire Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Light Tread

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
  • Season: All Season
  • Sidewall RWL: Raised White Letters
  • Type: Truck/SUV
  • Size: 255/60R15
  • Load Range: SL
  • Brand: Vitour
  • Load Index: 102
  • Performance: Performance
  • Speed Rating: V
  • Overall Diameter: 27
View attachment 148232
... Yes these tires on my car ;-)

·
6,772 Posts
what do you think of these tires @fauxrs ? they have a lot of flat rubber areas for sticky traction, don't know the hardness level though. I'm wondering if it's a combination of all 4: taller than original tire, tall gear, loss of horsepower, and tire rubber compound

1 - 20 of 41 Posts