El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchaced the Jegster crossmemeber from Jegs to work with my dual exhaust setup. My mechanic informed me it did not mesh well with the Hooker Compitition Headers I was using.

I ended up buying the one from Summit Racing and it fit like a glove...both the exhaust location AND the clearance underneath to the ground.

...just a heads up for those of you who are going with this setup and think the lower priced Jegs version will be ok. :???:

·
Registered
5,048 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I suppose I didn't get a clear answer other than they would have to bend the pipes to fit in the humps. So, I guess that means the collectors were too spread out to run where they were supposed to.

The crossmember from Summit has larger openings as well, so I'm assuming this was the issue.

·
Super Moderator
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ah, alas! I see they've added a note stating the Jegster does not fit El Caminos.

"Note: Crossmember is designed for 1978-88 G-Body that was originally equipped with a SB-Chevy. Does not fit ANY Cutlass Supreme models or El Camino. Designed for use with #555-30556 exhaust kit and 555-30060 headers. Engine and transmission swaps may require some fitment of all items."

·
Registered
80 Posts
It has worked fine on my '85 Camino for about one or two years now. Maybe they updated it or something. I cant remember the brand of my headers but, they are not Hooker. Flowtech maybe?

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
"Note: Crossmember is designed for 1978-88 G-Body that was originally equipped with a SB-Chevy. Does not fit ANY Cutlass Supreme models or El Camino. Designed for use with #555-30556 exhaust kit and 555-30060 headers. Engine and transmission swaps may require some fitment of all items."
That sounds like some very good reasons to stay away from it...I really don't understand why it's designed to fit 78-88 G-body cars except Cutlass Supremes or Elkys...if those aren't G-body cars I don't know what is. Designed for use with their headers and their exhaust system...sounds like more good reasons to avoid...by the way that exhaust system will not work with Elkys either (unless modified which will void any warranty)...reason being Elkys have a longer wheelbase than all other G-bodies...therefore the exhaust system needs to be longer between the header collector and the axle, but it doesn't state that it won't fit Elkys.

M

·
0 Posts
The Jegster crossmember is designed to work with Blackjack headers, which are undoubtedly the cheapest, poorest made headers you can buy. Don't ask me how I know.

·
Master Wrench
1,592 Posts
I remember someone posted a thread and put one on his5th gen and everything went fine. He also called jegs to find out why it would not work and they had no explaination lol So yes someone has had success with the jegster crossmember

·
Master Wrench
1,592 Posts
most likely it's the same exact thing, I heard jegs and summit buy the same stuff and just put thier names on it

T

·
0 Posts
I have a sumitt and they been good to me. Jegz for some reason always seems to have problem here and there from different people. They are minor problem, but still I do not want to have to worry about possible minor problem.

·
Master Wrench
1,592 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, I think it actually DOES fit the bolt locations; however, the placement of the humps for the exhaust pipes are a bit different (mostly the top clearance it seems):

Summit

Jegs

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
I don't know who makes the Jegs, I do suspect G-Force makes the one for Summit as it is identical to theirs. I have one made by Iceman that is identical to the G-Force...however G-Force tried to get Iceman for patent infringement, Iceman now makes a different version along with other G-body goodies----> http://www.maliburacing.com/iceman/ Iceman (Rick) makes some really quality stuff, and I believe he still gives a discount if your a ECC or Malibu Racing member.

·
Super Moderator
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Super Moderator
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just heard from my mechanic on the Summit one...fits like a glove, looks great and required no modifications to the pipes. :nanawrench:

·
Super Moderator
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I don't know who makes the Jegs, I do suspect G-Force makes the one for Summit as it is identical to theirs. I have one made by Iceman that is identical to the G-Force...however G-Force tried to get Iceman for patent infringement, Iceman now makes a different version along with other G-body goodies----> http://www.maliburacing.com/iceman/ Iceman (Rick) makes some really quality stuff, and I believe he still gives a discount if your a ECC or Malibu Racing member.

Umm, this...

Compared to this one...

:dontknow::dontknow::dontknow::dontknow::dontknow:

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
Yes...I understand what your saying...but Icemans is made from 4130 chrome moly tubing not soft steel and has been used in several all out G body drag cars where weight reduction is a factor...your new crossmember weighs over 20lbs, Icemans is 8lbs. It's a lot cheaper also. Don't get me wrong, I have one like the Summit, made by Iceman, but I bought mine about 5 years ago for $85...yeah I have piece of mind with it, maybe because it's so heavy, how could it possibly break...but weight reduction is a big factor for some as is price for others.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts