El Camino Central Forum banner

CA- LEGISLATIVE ALERT

13K views 40 replies 25 participants last post by  Keyser Sose 
#1 ·
I read this in the June '04 issue of Car Craft. On page 26 and 27.
CA is after the hot rodders again. CA state assemblywoman Sally Lieber (D-District 22) has introduced another bill intended to repeal the current pro-car-crafting provision that allows emissions testing exemption of cars 30 years or older. Lieber's bill would abolish this and require permanent testing of all post '76 vehicles.
If this sounds like a bad CA rerun, that's exactly what it is. The current administration has failed to achieve their air quality goals and is now grasping for any type of plan the will help. This effort is contrary to the overwhelming evidence that shows that older cars represent such a small percentage of total vehicle population that these changes will deliver no positive movement toward cleaner air.
To fight this newest threat to older hot rods in CA, contact State Assemblywoman Lieber at: Assemblywoman.Lieber@assembly.ca.gov Or go to SEMAand click on the consumer button. This will tell you how to contact your state rep.

Just figured I'd pass this along.

#27 ·
elcamino74guy said:
I got such a hassle at emissions this year that I came about a hairs breath from flattening the fat a$$ emissions moron that was disturbing me. Long story short he threatened to call the cops on me if I didn't leave.
I would like to suggest that you do the ONE thing that all petty bureaucrats hate ... file a complaint against him for "misuse of authority". These people are paid to do a job. There is absolutely no reason that they have to hassle you.

spoonplugger said:
The thing that worries me most is the fact that the politicians are never satisfied with what they have. They are always looking for ways to "improve" the emissions levels. "Improve" = get more money from you and I. Just think how difficult it would be to pass emissions if the bar is raised higher and higher. I suspect that will happen pretty soon and it may already be underway in Calfiornia.
The driving force behind this is that the number of people, cars and stinking factories continues to climb. Politicians call this "progress". They consider the air polution created by this to be a problem (they're right), and try to fix it in ways that won't get them kicked out of office.

I think that the solution would be to remove the ability for companies to trade 'pollution credit'. This allows a company that runs cleanly to transfer it's ability to pollute to another company. If this trading were to cease, they'd ALL have to meet the air quality standards. Of course, the polluting companies will force ANY politician who suggests this out of office, so none of them bother to try.

It's too bad we can't trade pollution credits on cars.

WRT a "clean" engine vs. a high performance engine, why not choose components that allow both? They exist. Buying CARB certified parts shows the manufacturers that there are people who want to be able to breathe clean air, and who are willing to pay for the ability to do so.

I'm currently planning a engine replacement for my '74. Clean burning is one of the goals. It doesn't cost all that much, and it helps in the long run.

#29 ·
One thing about calif smog laws,they are not standard across the state.I live in what's considered a "low impact" county that has a lower population ,and have not had to have a smog test done on ANY of my vehicles in 20 years,including cars I've owned that were newer than '86. Though smog tests are still required when you initially buy and register a car, UNLESS you buy the car from a "family member" or relative. This is simply a matter of your statement that it was purchased , or a gift from a relative.

#30 ·
'' CORN BURNERS IN MINN.''

Thats right ''corn burners'' the great state of Minnesota just passed a law that mandates that all gasoline sold by 2013 must have 20% ethanol ( thats 40 proof) this to help in air quailty and to help our ''poor farmers'' get rid of there corn---by the year 2014 the only thing running at our drag strips will be John Deere's---Internationals Harvester's and a few Ford garden tractors and Iam not talk'en about tractor pulls. This stuff is hard on carb gaskets, fuel injectors and fuel pumps---SO don't complain to loud you could become CORN BURNERS---LOL

#31 ·
Well, up until earlier this year Arizona was still selling MTBE blended gas in all grades. This is the same stuff that was outlawed in 20 states for causing cancer and contaminating ground water supplies. It also smelled really bad and added about .10 per gallon to the price of fuel.

So we get slowly poisoned at every fillup, pay extra for the privilege and screw up the ground water supply in a state that consists of 85% desert with less than 6 inches of rainfall a year.

And our state legislators actually fought getting rid of it until they found out it was going to start hitting some of the more obese wallets that live around here after a gasoline pipeline broke that went from Tucson to Phoenix.

8)

#32 ·
Here in Nevada even if you bring them a smog cert saying you passed , they resmog it on thier machine, (Which of coarse will fail an ant if it farts).Don't know about other states, but here after you get your Classic Vehicle to pass (or spend 450.00 to ,of coarse a state certified shop)you can drive it up to but not more than 2500 miles a year without having to smog it again.You do have to go to the D.M.V. so they can verify the mileage.

#33 ·
My friend and I prepared his 88 chevy work truck for the smog test. Tune up, all new filters, 02 sensor, etc. Then, we siphoned the gasoline out of the tank, replaced it with 2 gallons of unleaded 106 octane racing fuel and added two bottles of heet.

Test results: HC: 6 PPM Limit: 220
CO: 0 % Limit 1.20
CO2: 14.72% No limit established

#34 ·
I just heard a rumor that AZ may finally be bringing back the rolling exemption for cars 15 years or older. I guess the video tape of me
making the emissions guy pee his pants at the emissions test station last renewal time had an effect!

We'll see come next May when my tags are due.

:)

#35 ·
I see that the last post here is 5 years old, so don't flame me for posting, but now chevy offers a 50 state smog legal LS2 crate engine that makes 400 hp out of the box. Not exactly cheap, but plenty of H.P. and clean burning. 400 horses are more than any car I have owned, and I'd very much like to have one in my 86 1/2 ton. http://paceperformance.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=265464

#37 ·
I don't know about Texas but I'm sure you couldn't just take that engine and drop it in your 86 and just cruise in to the smog station in California and pass smog. Many more hoops you'd have to jump through. Read the rules on the DMV web site about vehicles that have had engine transplants and what smog equipment woule be required on them. Generally speaking, to be 'legal', you'd have the put the emissions equipment on it that was on your 86 1/2 ton. How would you like to have to put a smog pump on that LS2? My 2005 GTO came with a 50 state smog legal 400 HP LS2, but it's legal in a 2005 GTO. California is just screwed up that way....well that's only one of the ways

#36 ·
I like your thinking, I have a 84 El and wanted to change to a Corvette engine I was given, niumberce Lt1 but after running the nunbers and calif testing station, big cost!!!.
What I'm trying to do is put a nice 350 290hp from chevy, alot cheaper, and change over the carb and other smog stuff every two years. Does anyone know anybody that has done this?
Thanks

#40 ·
ca engine change laws are easy to work with. it has to be the same year or newer,car engines in cars.no truck engines in cars. the engine will need the equiptment required for the transplanted engine. if the newer engine didnt use an air pump it isnt required to have. when it passes the ref he will put a new emission lable on it to now smog you say 82 elco as a 05 gto ls2. be aware that obd2 engine swaps require the correct trans that originally came with the newer motor. obd1 conversions can use any trans. i used to work for a shop that specialized in smog legal conversions. there is a lot involved in the systems on the newer cars engines. so the newer you go the harder it becomes but is doable. no politics involved just makng sure if you do a change that you do it right and not a mickey mouse job. ca. is about clean air and have lived there for over 30 yrs ,trust me they have good reason.you can have your smog legal hot rods in ca. if you are willing to do it right

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.