El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's a 78 Caballero I'm looking at which has no motor or trans, but looks good for a restoration..However there is one slight problem.

Location: The driver's side rear wheel..I'm not sure what the actual term for the part is(CV joint maybe?), but it looks to be either a part of the frame, or at least connected to it. I have two pictures which show what I'm talking about.

It is hanging off and it seems as though it's supposed to be connected to the upper section (partly shown as a silhouette in second photo, my apologies). There also seems to be a crackling rust line in what I presume to be the rear frame.

What is the damage on this? Is this fixable and if so for how much(Ballpark)? Or would it be better to just get a new frame at this point?

Any feedback would be appreciated. Because otherwise the Caballero looks acceptable enough - and shall be mine!

Thanks everyone!

Adam

http://s1077.photobucket.com/albums...dthornforge/?action=view&current=IMG_3540.jpg

And photo 2..Sorry for the bad lighting!
http://s1077.photobucket.com/albums...dthornforge/?action=view&current=IMG_3556.jpg

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
I could be wrong but looks like the part hanging down may be part of the emergency/parking brakes. I don't like the look of that rusted out lower rear control arm! It is replaceable...but you might want to check up under that cruck real good for more rust.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
X2 if that part is rusted that much there may be more rusted out parts on the frame, I would prob go with a different frame. The rear end looks like it is almost rusted through also.

·
Registered
929 Posts
O.D. Showtime is right, its the part of the emergency brake that basically splits the cable into 2 cables for both of the rear wheels. The cable comming from the pedal seems to have snapped/rusted at the splitter.

·
Acting Director, Region 13
2,048 Posts
The other pic in your photobucket account,(not linked above), looks like the frame is rusted through behind the rear tire. I would reconsider purchase of this one. It does't look very sound to me.

Tim

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Much appreciated everyone! It's just hard to say no to a good cruck for less than 500..

Will almost certainly give this one a pass given the many confirms against it.

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
I guess it does depend on what you want to do with it..how hard are they to find out there? Can you reason with the seller to get it cheaper? may still be alot of good parts on it.

When it dries up out here..I'm picking up a rusty roller for $100....for parts.

I've done the frame repair thing once already so I know what that's about...

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
O.D Showtime.

He's asking 500. But I'm confident I can get it for 350. It's missing the motor and trans. Has many parts to go with + a canopy. Apart from that rear corner it seems to be in good shape. I shall upload all other photos I have to the same account, with any luck I can find a good justification to pick it up.

They're Somewhat scarce out here. I can certainly find one that runs for about 2k if I wait. But it's always nice to see a low number when you're craving some old shiny new toy.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
I guess all we can do is point out what we see...you are looking at it in person. I thought they were hard to find out here and I ended up with 3 of them lol...and as mentioned picking on up one for parts. I'm also seriously considering a 86 Caballero my neighbor brought up form California. Always trying to find the better project.

I've had my fair share of Malibu's and my son still has one we built/and are rebuilding together...but I do love the look of the GM car/truck/cruck.

Kevin

·
Premium Member
12,122 Posts
A close inspection of the frame, above & behind the rear wheels area is really necessary to do. The 5th gen Elcos seem to be prone to rusted frames back there.
Maybe you should look around some more. the '78 to '87 Elcos are more numerous than the older models. And don't let a low price lure you into a massive project.....and don't ask how I know.......:secret:

·
932 Posts
O.D Showtime.

He's asking 500. But I'm confident I can get it for 350. It's missing the motor and trans. Has many parts to go with + a canopy. Apart from that rear corner it seems to be in good shape. I shall upload all other photos I have to the same account, with any luck I can find a good justification to pick it up.

They're Somewhat scarce out here. I can certainly find one that runs for about 2k if I wait. But it's always nice to see a low number when you're craving some old shiny new toy.

You can still find frames in the valley for $300 , Thats a lot of rust in that lower trailing arm , depending how much more of that frame is rusted you might have to replace the frame and control arms , once you add the cost of frame , body bushings , time to cut open and weld new castle nuts on the mounting points on your body because in our wet climate half the bolts will be rusted in place ,and all the other things that will come up i.e. emergency brake cable you will be surprised how fast you get to that $2000 figure .

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
I will say,i have never seen a rusted out lower link before,just my 2 cents,i would not touch it Way to much rust. cheap does not always mean a good deal,be cautious in that purchase. :texas:

·
Premium Member
12,548 Posts
I feel for you guys up north on this subject. I have the rustiest on I've ever owned and it's just got 1 semi bad fllor pan.
Finding a cool spot on a hot summer day is hard in Texas but finding a 5th gen thats not rusted out is easy.
Good luck on your search
Donny

·
Director, Region 2
621 Posts
This is off topic but thanks for the pictures. I have a 78 without insignias and you have one of the tailgate showing where GMC is. Would you have a picture of the rear quarters if they have insignias? Thanks for the posting, sorry I had nothing to add to your question. I have found the 78 to be rare.

Leo

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Consider that one parts only. There's mold on the headliner... and with as rusty as the underside was, I would assume this thing was under water - probably a flood damage vehicle.

Get the VIN #... run a check on it with carfax or similar service.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everyone! All your feedback is exactly what I needed(Though not what I wanted!) to hear. It's much appreciated. I'm shooting the guy an e-mail telling him no and letting him know that he'd have better luck parting it out. A shame because the guy was honest. Ah well.

And you're all right. I can wait around and just pick up one that someone else has put a lot of work into. Heck, they may end up being someone on here!

So my hunt for my first elky continues!

Adam

1 - 16 of 16 Posts