El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's a 78 Caballero I'm looking at which has no motor or trans, but looks good for a restoration..However there is one slight problem.

Location: The driver's side rear wheel..I'm not sure what the actual term for the part is(CV joint maybe?), but it looks to be either a part of the frame, or at least connected to it. I have two pictures which show what I'm talking about.

It is hanging off and it seems as though it's supposed to be connected to the upper section (partly shown as a silhouette in second photo, my apologies). There also seems to be a crackling rust line in what I presume to be the rear frame.

What is the damage on this? Is this fixable and if so for how much(Ballpark)? Or would it be better to just get a new frame at this point?

Any feedback would be appreciated. Because otherwise the Caballero looks acceptable enough - and shall be mine!

Thanks everyone!

Adam

http://s1077.photobucket.com/albums...dthornforge/?action=view&current=IMG_3540.jpg

And photo 2..Sorry for the bad lighting!
http://s1077.photobucket.com/albums...dthornforge/?action=view&current=IMG_3556.jpg

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
O.D Showtime.

He's asking 500. But I'm confident I can get it for 350. It's missing the motor and trans. Has many parts to go with + a canopy. Apart from that rear corner it seems to be in good shape. I shall upload all other photos I have to the same account, with any luck I can find a good justification to pick it up.

They're Somewhat scarce out here. I can certainly find one that runs for about 2k if I wait. But it's always nice to see a low number when you're craving some old shiny new toy.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks everyone! All your feedback is exactly what I needed(Though not what I wanted!) to hear. It's much appreciated. I'm shooting the guy an e-mail telling him no and letting him know that he'd have better luck parting it out. A shame because the guy was honest. Ah well.

And you're all right. I can wait around and just pick up one that someone else has put a lot of work into. Heck, they may end up being someone on here!

So my hunt for my first elky continues!

Adam

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.