El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have yet to find a street rod style look on El Camino or Caballeros. So, I am going to give it a shot myself. This is what it looks like so far. I am going to try doing that sleek flat black look with a 5% tint on the door windows
and back window.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome cars! Love that blacked out trim and bumber/fender. Heavy look to it! Props on the stickers too.
It's close to what I am aiming to do. I see these 30s and 40s old school coups that are lowered and have flat paint jobs but just look hard. Real old school hot rod sleeper feel to them and that's what I want to do. I looked though the gallery and so far, have not found that style yet. Appreciate the response!

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Mctholhu,
Jayk, welcome from Mid-michigan.

Doug

·
Supporting Member
4,437 Posts
Jayk, welcome to the site. Just a warning on the 5% tint, in case you haven't used it before. Driving at night you will have difficulty seeing out, and the reflections from your instruments will drive you crazy. Mine had it when I bought it, and 2 weeks later I had it replaced with 35%.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, everyone! Would 25% or 35% be a better for night driving and also be pretty dark during the day? I've never really messed with tinting before. Also, we are taking the paint down to the metal in a few days, how long would it take to get that flat street rod/rat rod look? How many coats? Appreciate all the support, thanks again!

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Nice,, post more pics!! We love um here!! I really like the 81 grill & headlight bezels,, I have a 79 Malibu 2 door an 81 Grill/bezels header panel is going on,, Nice, Matty man

·
Supporting Member
4,437 Posts
Thanks, everyone! Would 25% or 35% be a better for night driving and also be pretty dark during the day? I've never really messed with tinting before. Also, we are taking the paint down to the metal in a few days, how long would it take to get that flat street rod/rat rod look? How many coats? Appreciate all the support, thanks again!
Here's a picture of mine with 35%. Works fine at night, and reasonably dark during the day.

·
Registered
11,511 Posts
:Welcome!:

are you color blind? You painted red where it shoulda been ORANGE !!!!

neat idea RE: street rod look.

be sure and shave all the emblems. I would go with smooth door handles too (do a search for pics on how I was doing mine). Definately need the proper "nose down" rake.

Louvers! It needs louvers! (on the hood)

maybe get some of these

https://login.yahoo.com/config/login?.src=fpctx&.intl=us&.done=http://m.www.yahoo.com/&rl=1

J L Customz, did I miss anything?

:dontknow:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I prefer the red and black look, personally. This is my first car, as well. What does "Shave" the emblems mean?

Next few days, we are doing the rat rod flat black on the whole cruck. I'll post pictures when we are finished.
Quick questions. How do you shine up the trim over the wheel well and around the whole thing in general. Just can't seem to get them to that chrome look after the work we've done to them.

·
Registered
11,511 Posts
I prefer the red and black look, personally. This is my first car, as well. What does "Shave" the emblems mean?

Next few days, we are doing the rat rod flat black on the whole cruck. I'll post pictures when we are finished.
Quick questions. How do you shine up the trim over the wheel well and around the whole thing in general. Just can't seem to get them to that chrome look after the work we've done to them.

I know it's your elkie, I just have an ORANGE fetish. Ask anyone on here.

SHAVE means to remove the emblems (chevy emblem, el camino emblem, etc.) and fill any mounting holes there may be, and then paint. Don't put the emblems back on. Makes for a subtle, but smoother, look to the car.

On 30s-50s cusoms, "nosed and decked" means that only the front and rear emblems were removed.

Have to buff that trim. Can get buffer wheels to fit 3/8 or 1/2 inch drills

:poke:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Awesome, appreciate it! I'll definitely see if I can find them. Would they be in an auto zone, or advanced auto, or any auto body place in general? I have one caballero symbol on the grill, take it off to "Shave" it?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yea! Exactly, that's it. Would Plasti-dip be a possibility to gain that street rod look, or should I go with an actual paint job?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Welcome from South Carolina - I have a '78 Caballero & am trying to decide which way to go with it. Thanks for the ideas.:nanawrench:

·
Registered
11,511 Posts
Awesome, appreciate it! I'll definitely see if I can find them. Would they be in an auto zone, or advanced auto, or any auto body place in general? I have one caballero symbol on the grill, take it off to "Shave" it?

any of those have the buffing wheels, as do ACE hardware, Harbor Freight, and even sears last time I was there. make sure and get several extra wheels when you get the adapter/arbor (piece that goes in the middle of buffing wheel w/stud to go into drill) so you make sure you have the correct size.

Can get the rouge you'll need at auto paint stores, online, and truck stop stores. (yes, truck stop stores! the drivers use it to polish their aluminum and stainless). Your trim is aluminum btw.

There's several how to's on here and the net (check youtube 1st)

the grill emblem is the first thing I'd remove. Unbolt it and see what you think. If you don't like it, put it back on.

That ought to keep him off the streets for a week or so!

:nanawrench:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts