El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When it rains it pours. My AC went out last weekend. I have a shop manual and did some troubleshooting and it said my AC controls are bad. No problem, I went to a salvage yard (they don't like to be called junk yards anymore) and picked one up out of a 86 Monte Carlo yesterday and hooked it up today. What do you know, I had AC again. I was dancing a jig because I didn't want to drive 3.5hrs to Belton tomorrow with no AC. It ran for about 5 mins and it went out again. When you turn it on, nothing happens. No fan, no compressor...nothing. If it's in the controls...what is making it break? If a wire was shorting out or crosswiring or whatever....shouldn't it blow the fuse? So if it's not electrical its pneumatic or mechanical. What ever it is...it's in the controls....I think. Calling all AC gurus...heeeeeellllllllllppppppppppp.

·
El Camino Central Founder/Co-Founder N.E.C.O.A.
3,118 Posts
Pull the control head back out, follow the brown wire back about 6 or 8 inches and repair the burned connector. Otherwise, you may have a bad switch.

·
El Camino Central Founder/Co-Founder N.E.C.O.A.
3,118 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Get a service manual,there is a pressure switch which shuts the compressor down when refrigerant gets low.
You'll need to jump this switch by using wire to over ride the shutdown.
Then fill the system with r12 or r34.
Once the system has enough freon,it should run continuously once the switch is reconnected.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's not low. If it was low, my fan would still blow, but it doesn't. When I put in the new ac control unit in before it blew(for a whole 5 mins), it worked fine. The compressor and the fan was working.

·
ZERO MPG
15,383 Posts
Resistors on top of the blower motor cover!!!!

·
Registered
578 Posts
Need to isolate what part of the system is cooking.
I would try a different blower motor.
The motor may be pulling too many amps.
Just hook up another externally and try the system again.
If the fuse is not blowing,there is a shorted wire in the circuit.
Also check all ground connections,as a loose ground will cause plenty of silly headaches.

·
Registered
1980 El Camino 350/700r4 3:73 gear
127 Posts
When it rains it pours. My AC went out last weekend. I have a shop manual and did some troubleshooting and it said my AC controls are bad. No problem, I went to a salvage yard (they don't like to be called junk yards anymore) and picked one up out of a 86 Monte Carlo yesterday and hooked it up today. What do you know, I had AC again. I was dancing a jig because I didn't want to drive 3.5hrs to Belton tomorrow with no AC. It ran for about 5 mins and it went out again. When you turn it on, nothing happens. No fan, no compressor...nothing. If it's in the controls...what is making it break? If a wire was shorting out or crosswiring or whatever....shouldn't it blow the fuse? So if it's not electrical its pneumatic or mechanical. What ever it is...it's in the controls....I think. Calling all AC gurus...heeeeeellllllllllppppppppppp.
Hi i Seen this post about your AC and was wondering Did you ever find the cause?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts