El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gotta vent. I hear some people calling el Camino's trucks. Others, (God save us!) call them "Crucks."

They are "el Camino's." Period. In Spanish, Camino means "The way, or The Road." That is perfect! Poetic and graceful, like our cars.

Yes, it has a bed, it was designed to be a utility vehicle of sorts.

But what belongs in the bed of our classic "The Road" cars? A cooler of beer and a few lawn chairs. Maybe a saddle and a bale of hay if that is your thing. A duffel bag and tool box for a road trip, that is my thing.

Anyone who wants to put a rick of firewood or a grimy old engine block in my classic is going to get the Evil Eye, or maybe a fat lip. Put that crap in a truck (or a Ranchero ;) .)

They are cars, Chevelle's with a bed. Unique and special. They are "el Camino's," nothing less.

There, I feel better.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Also, here is an interesting tidbit on the font and capitalization of "el Camino."

In 1959, it was El Camino, in cursive, with a capital E:

At some point GM went to a block style font, but still with capital E.
Here is 1967:

In 1968-69, they went to a lower case e, with a similar font:

And then in 1970, back to capital E:

I have no idea what happened after 1970, since that is the last year I have any interest in.

I always use the lower case e, since have a 1968 and that is what I see on my car.

Why do I spend time on this stuff? I have no idea . . .

·
Registered
482 Posts
I have hauled hay, engines, transmissions, dobermans, fish in ice chest, mulch (800 lbs worth of 40 lbs bags), trash and my army duffel bags back in the day. Now she just plain hauls a$$. I call mine a truck when she needs to tote the line and a car when I put the pedal down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
In the eighties, Georgia issued different license plates for cars vs. trucks. Cars were three letters/three numers; trucks were two letters/four numbers. You’d see Caminos wearing both types.
I use mine like a truck but call it ‘the Camino’.
Patrick

·
Premium Member
1,944 Posts
This entire discussion is helping me to legitimize the purchase of another classic vehicle I've long wanted - a 57 Chevy wagon. All of this discussion makes me realize that a 57 wagon is simply an older El Camino with a crew cab and a topper!!

Rick

·
Registered
361 Posts
Well for me it is a truck just like GM states. I pretty much use it the same as the trucks I have and one is set up with a receiver hitch and have pulled the 56T-Bird on open car trailers. I mean it plainly states it right on the door VIN sticker that it is a TRUCK how much more plain can that be. 1250-lb payload or up to 6000 lbs of trailer, cargo and equipment when properly equipped.
Font Handwriting Number Signage Rectangle
Font Rectangle Handwriting Number Sign
Font Gas Electric blue Rectangle Transparency

·
Premium Member
5,158 Posts
All you young folks!
We call them trucks, because we bought them to haul stuff.
All three of my utes had to have Commercial Truck license plates along with the additional yearly fees.

My first was in 1973 with a 400 cu inch Ford engine and a Gem Top.
It moved my family and I from Oklahoma to San Diego. It was supposed to tow a light trailer and MGB. Wife totaled the restored MGB two months before my separation from active duty. It towed my Sol Cat and gear as well as material to turn my first home from fixer upper to "Looking Good". The Sprite was my daily driver, until replaced by the '62 'Vette.

In '79, the Ford truck was replaced by a fifth gen El Camino truck. It towed the racing catamarans at least 25 days a year. Full gear under the fiberglass Stockland cargo shell.
When I moved into a new home 2, it hauled the landscape supplies, including all the bricks, cinder blocks, plants, soil mulch (without the shell on) and hauled dirt away.
In 85, I bought my dirt that overlooks the ocean and harbor. There were no homes on the 5 streets. As an "owner builder", participating in working on the house build, that fifth gen always had stuff in it, that includes stuff for inside and outside, it might take multiple trips with pallets of blocks to build 5 feet high retaining walls, or I may need to cut rebar 20 footers into the desired size as I loaded, yet it got the tasks done. It was a tool that helped accomplish other visions and helped gain sweat equity. It also helped me with a planned business and carried products to specialty collector shows safely under the shell.

In 1988, I upgraded to a multi seat long bed Silverado (full size). It was too long to fit in a normal garage.
In 1998, I reduced to an extended cab 6 foot bed Cheyenne. Life changes.
Sadly, I sold the Cheyenne because pandemic dropped me down to under 4,000 miles per year. It was supposed to help save dollars. However my insurance went up, not down! when I sold the Cheyenne.

In May at Home Depot, the 6 foot house plants and soil materials didn't fit in the Civic.

Guess how I recharged my '70 El Camino truck's battery.

·
Registered
1981 El Camino, 4-Speed w/ factory Hurst Shifter, 400ci small block
279 Posts
Well for me it is a truck just like GM states.
This ^^^^^^^^^^^
GM built them and GM says it's a Truck. I don't like that classification, but GM has spoken.
I think my plate speaks to my disagreement, but that doesn't change what it is.....

Attachments

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Subaru and Volkswagen called their ute-thingies pickups as well.
I'll never think of a VW Rabbit, with a bed, as a truck :censored:

Fun to read the comments. Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers.
It's your el Camino, call it what you want, use it how you want.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 79 Posts