El Camino Central Forum banner
21 - 40 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Also interesting that GM classified the HHR as a truck and Chrysler did the same with the PT Cruiser. This was probably more about raising truck CAFE (corporate average fuel economy) ratings for the manufacturer than about the vehicle's capability or intended use.

·
Registered
1981 El Camino, 4-Speed w/ factory Hurst Shifter, 400ci small block
279 Posts
It's funny you mentioned the Subaru Brat.... as the SOLE reason it had the silly rear facing seats bolted to the bed was so it could AVOID being classified as a truck, and avoid the subsequent taxes. If not for the tax issue, I'm sure it would have went down in history as just a tiny sissyfied "truck"...lol

·
Registered
87 Caballero Amarillo, stock 305/200R4/QJ
477 Posts
Depends on your particular definition of exactly what criteria makes the grade. Coupe has 2 doors and a trunk, sedan has 4 doors and a trunk, truck can have 2/3/4 doors and a bed, sportster has 2 doors and no trunk, wagon has 4 doors and a hatch, hatchback has 2 doors and a hatch etc. Considering the US govt hasn't exactly defined a definition for 'utility vehicle' as such for public registered motor vehicles, the defining characteristic of a bed as applies to Camino, Caballero, Sprint, Ranchero etc classifies it as a truck.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Also interesting that GM classified the HHR as a truck and Chrysler did the same with the PT Cruiser. This was probably more about raising truck CAFE (corporate average fuel economy) ratings for the manufacturer than about the vehicle's capability or intended use.
I always called mine an “El Camino” until I joined NECOA - then I started calling it a “Cruck”.

My daily driver is an HHR (Panel) and I call that a “Truck”. I normally use it as a work vehicle hauling building materials, furniture, or you name it, if it fits in the back- or on top - I can haul it. 10' lengths of PVC pipe or lumber even fit inside. Originally it came from the factory with a utility/tool box in the back. I wanted to carry passengers, so I removed that and installed rear "flat folding" factory leather seats with headrests & seat belts. So I guess I actually have two oddball vehicles!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Gotta vent. I hear some people calling el Camino's trucks. Others, (God save us!) call them "Crucks."

They are "el Camino's." Period. In Spanish, Camino means "The way, or The Road." That is perfect! Poetic and graceful, like our cars.

Yes, it has a bed, it was designed to be a utility vehicle of sorts.

But what belongs in the bed of our classic "The Road" cars? A cooler of beer and a few lawn chairs. Maybe a saddle and a bale of hay if that is your thing. A duffel bag and tool box for a road trip, that is my thing.

Anyone who wants to put a rick of firewood or a grimy old engine block in my classic is going to get the Evil Eye, or maybe a fat lip. Put that crap in a truck (or a Ranchero ;) .)

They are cars, Chevelle's with a bed. Unique and special. They are "el Camino's," nothing less.

There, I feel better.
I hauled a dirty old engine block in the back of mine once.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
My Texas title and my Grundy insurance policy both call it a truck.

·
Deputy Director Region 18 Participating Member
6,367 Posts
..face it, it's a TRUCK, Cancel culture is now in effect.. lol

... nuff said... lol

·
Registered
87 Caballero Amarillo, stock 305/200R4/QJ
477 Posts
Only in the States. In Aussie it's a 'ute', as is the Brat or any other car/bed combo, that being considered 1/4 ton vehicle. 1/2 ton and up is a truck.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Chevrolet never put this frame under any car..... Its an A.O. Smith #1942 frame. Pontiac also used it on there 69-72 series Grand Prix cars...

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Chevrolet never put this frame under any car..... Its an A.O. Smith #1942 frame. Pontiac also used it on there 69-72 series Grand Prix cars...

So . . . Chevy didn't, but Pontiac did (for their Grand Prix "Trucks,") Got it. Fun discussion, all good :)

·
Registered
848 Posts
It's certainly an interesting take that a RWD, body on frame vehicle with a bed on the back isn't a truck. I'm curious what you think of the new Ford Maverick then.
All I know is that I certainly can't carry engines, transmissions, furniture, and injection mold tools for work in my GTO like I can in my 'Elco.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
It's certainly an interesting take that a RWD, body on frame vehicle with a bed on the back isn't a truck. I'm curious what you think of the new Ford Maverick then.
All I know is that I certainly can't carry engines, transmissions, furniture, and injection mold tools for work in my GTO like I can in my 'Elco.
I carried a pontiac 400 in the back of a datsun b210

The datsun was gold and blue. Car body was gold, exhaust was blue.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts

Just random pics off a 20 second search. Yep, it's a truck.

Reactions: kat0069

·
Registered
361 Posts
Only in the States. In Aussie it's a 'ute', as is the Brat or any other car/bed combo, that being considered 1/4 ton vehicle. 1/2 ton and up is a truck.
I believe 1250 lbs would be over 1/2 ton. States that on my original 86 sales brochure. Looks like you would call it a truck by your statement.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
What do you call a Chevelle wagon?

A truck with a camper shell?

It's a car😁

21 - 40 of 79 Posts