El Camino Central Forum banner
41 - 60 of 79 Posts

Registered
Gotta vent. I hear some people calling el Camino's trucks. Others, (God save us!) call them "Crucks."

They are "el Camino's." Period. In Spanish, Camino means "The way, or The Road." That is perfect! Poetic and graceful, like our cars.

Yes, it has a bed, it was designed to be a utility vehicle of sorts.

But what belongs in the bed of our classic "The Road" cars? A cooler of beer and a few lawn chairs. Maybe a saddle and a bale of hay if that is your thing. A duffel bag and tool box for a road trip, that is my thing.

Anyone who wants to put a rick of firewood or a grimy old engine block in my classic is going to get the Evil Eye, or maybe a fat lip. Put that crap in a truck (or a Ranchero ;) .)

They are cars, Chevelle's with a bed. Unique and special. They are "el Camino's," nothing less.

There, I feel better.

No doubt in my mind. GMC didn't make no cars!!
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Cloud

Registered
Yes they did. From wikipedia.

"In 1996, GM merged GMC Truck Division with the Pontiac Motor Division in order to "give the combined division a brand image projecting physical power and outdoor activity".
馃榿

Senior Member - 2019 Exceptional Action Award
I'm not sure where we fit in ?

Truck noun

1. 1.
    a large, heavy motor vehicle used for transporting goods, materials, or troops.
Pick up noun
noun: pickup; plural noun: pickups; noun: pickup truck; plural noun: pickup trucks; noun: pick-up; plural noun: pick-ups
  1. 1.
    a small truck with an enclosed cab and open back.

Registered
Gotta vent. I hear some people calling el Camino's trucks. Others, (God save us!) call them "Crucks."
They are cars, Chevelle's with a bed. Unique and special. They are "el Camino's," nothing less.
An older term (oldie but goody) is "coup茅 utility vehicle". Not to be confused with the younger term CUV (crossover). My El Camino has a car chassis, but it also has a frame. CUVs are unibodies.

Registered
1981 El Camino, 4-Speed w/ factory Hurst Shifter, 400ci small block
What do you call a Chevelle wagon?

A truck with a camper shell?

It's a car馃榿
But.....and this is a BIG BUT.......
Chevelle Wagons, and I mean the 2-door Chevelle Wagons were God-Like and holy creatures of lore. They were absolutely on par with the Nomads of past. They live without fault and cannot be criticized under ANY circumstances. Just sayin'....
End of rant............. ;)

Registered
In Rhode Island the DMV can get wrong and confuse you at the same time. It's both a truck and a pickup. I think they're trying to find a way to tax you on both. After all it is a Caballero!

Registered

They are "el Camino's." Period. In Spanish, Camino means "The way, or The Road." That is perfect! Poetic and graceful, like our cars.

Yes, it has a bed, it was designed to be a utility vehicle of sorts.

But what belongs in the bed of our classic "The Road" cars? A cooler of beer and a few lawn chairs. Maybe a saddle and a bale of hay if that is your thing. A duffel bag and tool box for a road trip, that is my thing.

Anyone who wants to put a rick of firewood or a grimy old engine block in my classic is going to get the Evil Eye, or maybe a fat lip. Put that crap in a truck (or a Ranchero ;) .)

There, I feel better.
And El is a title for "King" or "God" El Camino = King of the Road 馃槑 馃ご 馃洠

Registered
'86 El Camino in progress.
Had a guy at a trail head chat with me. Said, "I like the looks of those, things, whatever they are called. Forgetting for a moment that he meant el camino or ranchero, I replied...

"I love my ;cartruck', or 'truckcar', or whatever you want to call it. I like cartruck! Have a nice hike!"

I love my cartruck!

Registered
1981 El Camino, 4-Speed w/ factory Hurst Shifter, 400ci small block
Sorry, double post

Premium Member
I'm sure where we fit in ?

Truck noun

1. 1.
    a large, heavy motor vehicle used for transporting goods, materials, or troops.
Pick up noun
noun: pickup; plural noun: pickups; noun: pickup truck; plural noun: pickup trucks; noun: pick-up; plural noun: pick-ups
  1. 1.
    a small truck with an enclosed cab and open back.
Pick up noun
noun: pickup; plural noun: pickups; noun: : pick-up; plural noun: pick-ups

1. 1. a naughty girl at the end of the bar that keeps flicking her hair.

Registered
The el Camino is a Sport Utility vehicle, look in the manual. This is GMs first SUV....
Actually it is a "Coupe Utility Vehicle". But none the less, these vehicles are perfect for utility and fun. It is why it is the mullet of cars!

Registered
87 Caballero Amarillo, stock 305/200R4/QJ
Well the camino was closed off behind the driver, so the bed and cab are technically seperate spaces. The Wagons have only 1 space.

Registered
87 Caballero Amarillo, stock 305/200R4/QJ
Suv was originally a heavy duty, truck based wagon, the Suburban Carryall, 1935. Sport Wagon is something else again, more to do with trim package than with actual design. Same with Family Wagon etc.

41 - 60 of 79 Posts