El Camino Central Forum banner
61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Want to really cause confusion, enter it into a car show. They have trouble figuring out what class to put it in.
for sure , some placed you in with Grand Nat Buicks ,Super Chevy has an El Camino Class , no confusion at Arlington though ,lol

·
Deputy Regional Director, Region 6
1,546 Posts
Just something else to confuse us.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Gotta vent. I hear some people calling el Camino's trucks. Others, (God save us!) call them "Crucks."

They are "el Camino's." Period. In Spanish, Camino means "The way, or The Road." That is perfect! Poetic and graceful, like our cars.

Yes, it has a bed, it was designed to be a utility vehicle of sorts.

But what belongs in the bed of our classic "The Road" cars? A cooler of beer and a few lawn chairs. Maybe a saddle and a bale of hay if that is your thing. A duffel bag and tool box for a road trip, that is my thing.

Anyone who wants to put a rick of firewood or a grimy old engine block in my classic is going to get the Evil Eye, or maybe a fat lip. Put that crap in a truck (or a Ranchero ;) .)

They are cars, Chevelle's with a bed. Unique and special. They are "el Camino's," nothing less.

There, I feel better.
A good friend of mine calls my 65 “The Gentleman’s Pickup”. It has a good ring to it…lol

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
The 68-72 series el Camino came with a hefty A.O. Smith #1942 frame that no other Chevrolet ever had. They also came with these arms that tied the lower and upper control arms together.. Pontiac used that frame once on there 69-72 Grand Prix. That was John De Loran's baby and explains why it was one of the best handling GM cars to this day..
That series el Camino can haul 1 ton..

·
Registered
1987 GMC Caballero, 400 HP 350, Holley Sniper EFI, 200-4R
350 Posts
I grew up near that AO Smith plant just across the river from St Louis.
el camino is Spanish. King of the road is a good translation.
Caballero is Spanish. It is gentleman.
So, I suppose I have a gentleman's truck. I like that better than city slicker truck (but I would be super careful on a long gravel road in my Caballero)

·
Registered
482 Posts
Considering it has a box bed in the back, that makes it a Pickup. So says every state I've ever titled an Elky in.

Suburbans and Tahoes and old Blazers had pickup frames, chassis, and body parts. They get car/wagon designations at the DMV. They get car plates everywhere I've been. They are wagons. Multirow passenger space with no trunk.

Elky's haul and tow more than little chevy luvs and toyota mini trucks. Heavy dutiness of the chassis/brakes/frame is not the deciding factor.

Armored cars are built on commercial vehicle underpinnings. They are cars.

·
Registered
4,233 Posts
Call it what yall want. I can still throw more tools under my raised height cover & work out of it than many of the sissies with their short wheel base full sized pickemups can. I bought mine to work out of in 1993 & it's still a backup.
Hopefully next year I can get my lift up in the air & drive that way bedcover mechanism done so I can put my little drift trike project in the back under the cover.

·
Senior Member - 2019 Exceptional Action Award
753 Posts
This entire discussion is helping me to legitimize the purchase of another classic vehicle I've long wanted - a 57 Chevy wagon. All of this discussion makes me realize that a 57 wagon is simply an older El Camino with a crew cab and a topper!!

Rick
Very true !

·
Registered
87 elcamino v6 4.3 t.b.i.
279 Posts
This entire discussion is helping me to legitimize the purchase of another classic vehicle I've long wanted - a 57 Chevy wagon. All of this discussion makes me realize that a 57 wagon is simply an older El Camino with a crew cab and a topper!!

Rick
lol,think your on to something,I recently read a post about restoring bed of the first year elk. He claimed under the curagated sheet metal was yet another flat sheet . this he surmised was the floor of the wagon body the used to build the open bed on. Im pretty sure it was the post entitled (60 yrs old,bought a car as old as me) he was removing a previous cover-up fix,a diamond plated stainless steel sheet in the bed.

·
Deputy Regional Director, Region 6
1,546 Posts
I know it's a truck but, I mostly refer to mine as a car.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I know it's a car, and I also refer to mine as a car.
An open trunk does not make a car a truck. It makes it a car sans deck lid.

61 - 79 of 79 Posts