El Camino Central Forum banner

Cam for 5.3

4K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  87ls5.3 
#1 ·
So I’m swapping a Lm7 5.3 with 862 heads in my 72 It will be carbed and Im looking for a cam so wanted to see what cams you guys are running that are working good. I have a 3500 stall i was looking into btr stage 4 v2 truck cam but I was also looking at Texas speed 224 duration with 600 lift is 600 lift to much for a 5.3 the btr stage 4 is 550 lift

#2 ·
Augie, I went with comp cams 212-218 hi lift. No other mods but headers and put 330hp-340tq. I'm running a Phoenix 2600-2800 stall and have absolutely no traction through the .308 rear and street tires. Since you're going carb I can't say much else other than a co-worker went with a MUCH larger cam FI, and put down the exact numbers mine did. The intake is where your limit will be. The stock truck intake will only produce power to 5800 and drops like a rock after. So make sure your intake of choice and carb can feed that motor and you will be happy!

Joe

#4 ·
Augie, XR265HR . I do have to mention that the lift requires the LS6 valve springs at minimum. I will say that the numbers I cited are RWHP. The idle is very smooth. My car does rock from side to side at idle around 700 right now but I'm gonna get that turned down a bit into the 600-650 range soon, and I'm sure it will be a bit lumpier sounding.

Joe

#6 ·
I used new LM7 lifters and stock pushrods. The only change was the LS6 blue valve springs. GM #12499224. .570 max lift and the comp cam is .563. I know it gives a small margin but the ZR1 uses the same springs and has a max lift of .562. Kind of splitting hairs at .001 difference for a street car. I just ordered my cam at Summit for an 05 Silverado with 5.3 and added the springs after. I've hit the gas more times than I can count way harder than I should and even one burnout that should have made the valves float and still holding up!

Joe

#7 ·
I used the LS2 cam and the LS6 blue valve springs. I have the Trailblazer intake manifold and the Holley long tube headers. We stopped the dyno pull when I ran out of injectors and started to go lean. The HP was 320 but we stopped the pull @ 6000 rpm. The HP was still climbing. The dyno was a Mustang.

#8 ·
The TB intake is a bit better than the basic truck intake. The injectors and the intake run out around the same rpm's, give or take a couple hundred. Mine peaked and went flat at 5800 right at the rpm the intake runs out of flow. Given a better flowing intake(and probably a better fuel pump and injectors) I'm sure mine would lay down another 40- 50+hp with ease, but would be at least 6500 before getting there. But all that doesn't really matter to me. My car is so much fun to drive now and is totally possessed when floored! Not a race car but with the light weight this car has, it's just crazy! Hope you are having as much fun as I am!

Joe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.